Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Beginner

Default Things to do at the following ports?:Far East on Nautica

WE are going on Nautica this Feb/Mar to Saigon,Da Nang, Hanoi, Hong Kong, Taipei, Kagoshima, Shanghai, Seoul. Any suggestion on what to see at these ports for one day. We prefer not to go on organized ship tours.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:09 AM
Admiral

Saigon, depends on whether you are in port for one day or two and if the ship docks in town or on the coast. We docked right in town and were there for two days. Do take a city tour. If you want, take a tour of the Cu Chi tunnels; we didn't enjoy it but it was worth seeing. Have a drink at the Rex hotel. Do shopping; lots of shopping.

For DaNang, you have to decide north to Hue or south to DaNang and Hoi An if you have only one day. Get a private guide. See DaNang, Marble Mountain, Hoi An, tour a silk factory, and buy marble and silk.

Hanoi, take a ships tour or a private guide; either involves almost a three hour trip each way. We took an old Soviet helicopter into Hanoi which got us there earlier so we could see Ho Chi Minh's old house. Number one site is Hanoi Hilton. Also see old university. Don't forget to shop; we picked up some wonderful keepsakes in Hanoi. The great thing about the bus ride is having a great view of all the other "vehicles" on the road with you.

Hong Kong I would do on your own using a mixture of ferries, buses, taxis, and shoe leather. Must sees are Victoria Peak, Money Museum, and Stanley Market on Hong Kong Island side and Jade Market on Kowloon side. Take the Star Ferry, and trams. Take the bus to Stanley Market for some wonderful views.

Shanghai, you can do totally be taxi although I really liked my guided tour of Yu Yuan Garden. Walk the Bund, go to Pudong, and see the Shanghai museum. Shopping is king in Shanghai for pearls, watches, purses, and slime.

I can't be any help for your other ports. However, I think Kagoshima is too far for a quick trip to Nagasaki....which is definitely worth seeing.

Hope this helps,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Passenger

For Taipei, I suggest you to join the tour organized by the cruiseline because the pier is actually not in Taipei, it is 1 hour journey to Taipei's town centre. (I will tell you more in the future because I will been to there (by RCCL) in 2 weeks)

For Shanghai, it really depends on where your ship will dock.
If it docked in the town centre (Ko Yun Road Temrminal??something like that), it should be OK for you to do on your own. But language may be the problem.!!!
But if it docked at the container terminal...You should join the ship's tour
(it is much more far away from Shanghai)

For Hong Kong, definitly don't join the ship's tour. The ship will docked at Ocean Terminal, the center of Hong Kong. You can do shopping at Tsium Sha Tsui (and even at the pier) or Hong Kong Island. If you want to have some sightseeing, you may consider to go to the Peak (to enjoy the 360' view of Hong Kong); or other places...

As Hong Kong is my home, If you want more information, feel free to email me (cruisesnet@yahoo.com.hk)

For other ports, I can't help you because I have not been to there....

Past Cruises:
Super Star Leo 08/04/00;Star Pisces 08/12/01;
Omar II 2002; Star Pisces 06/08/04; Omar III 09/17/05;
Golden Princess 01/15/06; Star Pisces 07/09/06; SuperStar Aquarius 3D2N 07/06/07;
SuperStar Libra 3D2N 01/16/08; Rhapsody OTS 6D5N 02/08/08;
SuperStar Virgo 4D3N 05/18/08
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Beginner

Thank you very much for the info. I will wait till you get back and have updated information.