Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Default ? About Travel insurance

We are thinking of booking a cruise for 2009 and am thinking about getting the travel insurance myself this time but I have a question.

When you entry the cost of the trip do you include port fees and taxes or not?

Need an answer quick since will be booking cruise tomorrow.

Thanks.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Admiral

Don't include port fee and taxes.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In some cases, you don't always know the exact figure of the taxes and or port costs. When I give the total of the cruise and the airfare, I include it all.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Captain

I always put in all charges when purchasing my travel insurance. If something should happen and I have to cancel I get back all money paid for the trip. I know a couple who had a major health problem while on a 14 day cruise. They had to be taken off the ship and to a hospital in Costa Rico. They then air ambulanced them back to the states and the cost of that was $13,000.00. Due to having the insurance they paid nothing and were even refunded for the 7 days of the cruise they missed. Sadly the Mr. passed away about 6 weeks after this, he had cancer and was smart and got the best insurance offered. It paid off for the family, no big bills.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Your confusing trip cancellation with trip interruption. For trip cancellation, that is cancelling before you start, the cruiselines do not keep your port taxes and fees. If you have had the opposite happen, I would have your TA get on the phone to the cruise line or find a new TA.

Many insurance policies cover trip interruption at 150% of total cost.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the help.

Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Your confusing trip cancellation with trip interruption. For trip cancellation, that is canceling before you start, the cruiselines do not keep your port taxes and fees. If you have had the opposite happen, I would have your TA get on the phone to the cruise line or find a new TA.

Many insurance policies cover trip interruption at 150% of total cost.
On "almost all" policies, collection of trip cancellation is only refundable if you cancel after final payment and the cruise line withholds your money. You will be required to submit documents, to the insurance company, that show how much was refunded.

If you cancel your airfare, most companies will only charge you the amount of non-cancel able airfare that is forfeited. If the airline gives you a $100 credit (or some other amount) on a future flight, you will only be refunded the amount of the airfare minus the credit.

The "easiest" and overall smartest thing to do is insure the total cost of your trip, including airfare, hotel and private tours (if non-refundable) and use that as the total amount.

A major important thing, as Marc pointed out, is trip interruption. It is actually used the most. It will cover flight delays and costs incurred, such as getting to the next port if you miss the ship. Also the medical, IMSO, is the most important and will provide you with medical coverage outside of the U.S. Most health insurance plans, especially Medicare, will not cover you outside the U.S.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Thanks again. After booking the cruise and seeing what the TA had for insurance (I didn't order right away so he sent me links to what it was) I bought thru insuremytrip and got just what I wanted.