CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   travelling with a guide dog (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/345774-travelling-guide-dog.html)

June Brasgalla January 30th, 2008 05:12 PM

travelling with a guide dog

This is my first post. I want to take a really neat , 4 day cruise, inland from Seattle or Portland..possibly up a river? I will be leaving from Seattle, with a friend who has a seeing eye dog. Anyone want to help out a total novice?

Paul Motter February 23rd, 2008 04:20 PM

Go to Majestic America Lines. I don't know if they allow guide dogs, but they do travel on NW rivers.

The only major cruise line I know that does allow dogs is Cunard, and only on certain voyages. Be sure to ask your travel agent about the dog in very specific terms before you book anything.

Donna February 23rd, 2008 07:29 PM

I was on a Princess ship once where a passenger had a dog, so check them as well.

nlb1050 February 23rd, 2008 08:28 PM

Our cruise on NCL in Oct there was a person who had their service dog with them.

Phil&Liz February 23rd, 2008 09:04 PM

Its nice to know that this persons companion is getting out and about despite their disability.

Its hard to imagine any line not allowing the dog legally but one does have to wonder how the animal is as far as potty training and whether they can go more than overnight without a land "excursion".

We saw a litter box for dogs at the pet store recently so I suppose its possible for the animal to be trained not to make a mess on the Lido deck or in the cabin.

Shipp lingo lends itself to dogs btw...the night shift used to be called the dog watch and when you close a hatch and secure it that is called dog the hatch IIRC.

Phil & Liz

rjburd February 23rd, 2008 09:11 PM

This came up during our conversation at dinner during our recent Carnival cruise, so we asked our wait staff. They said that that service animals are allowed on the ship.

beenie weenie February 24th, 2008 12:10 AM

Yes we had the pleasure of cruising with a very wonderful Seeing eyed dog on our last Carnival Cruise. You could tell he took his work very seriously and took great care of his master.

Mermaid February 26th, 2008 11:07 AM

Contact the cruise line you are interested in, and ask specifically what documentation will be required for your friend and the dog. If you are disembarking in a foreign port, you need to make sure what the regulations are there, and if the dog can go ashore.

I know of someone with limited sight that has cruised extensively with a service dog. The cruise line normally will go out of their way to make accomodations. On one cruise, the crew actually made a dog house and brought in a square of grass for the dog to have on the cabin balcony! The dog actually lived "inside" with it's owner and was trained to use the "indoor" facilities (special paper/liner placed in the shower). She had a jeweled collar for formal night, and colorful bandanas for island night! She rested under the table at our feet during dinner in the dining the room on the Millennium. She attended muster drill with her own life jacket. She guided her human back to the cabin, up and down elevators, all over the ship. It was amazing.

I too commend your friend for traveling!

gerif February 26th, 2008 04:43 PM

We were on a cruise (RCCL) several years ago with two service dogs (a German Shephard and a yellow Lab). They were so well behaved - we saw them several times in the elevator. I understand that there was a special area set up below decks for them to "do their business." They had the table next to us at dinner and I must say I wish the kids on board were as well behaved.

Phil&Liz February 26th, 2008 10:47 PM

In one of the last 3 days on Johns blog he mentioned how there will be 20 something of these aboard.

Phil & LIz

elfster February 27th, 2008 04:37 PM

If it is a service dog...seeing eye dog....then I would have to assume the line has to allow the canine. It would be a violation of the federal persons with disablity act if they did not allow it.

gerif February 28th, 2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfster
If it is a service dog...seeing eye dog....then I would have to assume the line has to allow the canine. It would be a violation of the federal persons with disablity act if they did not allow it.

Absolutely - but, remember, there are service dogs trained to detect such things as seizures and diabetic reactions that might simply appear to be someone's little foo-foo pet when they are really working. I remember a thread where someone was upset because a woman was carrying around her little Yorkie, but it turned out to really be a service dog.

elfster February 28th, 2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerif
Quote:

Originally Posted by elfster

Absolutely - but, remember, there are service dogs trained to detect such things as seizures and diabetic reactions that might simply appear to be someone's little foo-foo pet when they are really working. I remember a thread where someone was upset because a woman was carrying around her little Yorkie, but it turned out to really be a service dog.

It is amazing what they have been able to train the pooches for; ie medical detection and such. These days it is best to never assume, but ask. Especially on a cruise ship for otherwise a canine would never be allowed...only with the proper verification/documentation that the animal is a service dog.

Mike M February 29th, 2008 01:13 PM

Definitely:

The cruise lines will allow service animals to travel with guests who have documented disabilities. The animal must carry its certification and immunization certificates and cannot leave the ship in ports.

To arrange things contact the "Special Needs Department" of the cruise line. You can contact them via the Customer Service line and ask for Special Needs Department.

Happy cruising,
Mike (Who could never take his dog on a cruise. There would be no food left in the buffet).

Joe323 March 6th, 2008 05:36 PM

My Finance has a friend with MS who takes her service dog on cruises with her. The dog who is the most well behaved dog I have ever seen wears a harness that says I'm a working dog do pet me with the Disability Wheelchair symbol on it. Should not be a problem to take a service animal on a cruise, just be sure to arainge eith the cruiseline in advance.

CM Rob March 6th, 2008 05:48 PM

Obligations of Cruise Ships under the Americans with Disabil

Here is a link to a web site

http://www.advocacyinc.org/AC20.cfm

The part about service animals is toward the bottom of the page

sandra52 March 15th, 2008 04:04 PM

travelling with a guide dog

I was on the Zuiderdam in December and there was a lady aboard who was in a wheelchair and she had a small dog with her. I am sure you will be fine with them