Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Beginner

Default Passports stamped ???

Do you know if your passport is stamped by customs when leaving the ship for any of the Carribean cruises? We are New Zealanders planning a short cruise in august while holidaying in the USA (from Miami). Just wondering if they are stamping passports now when disembarking for an island in the Carribean? or do they just view it as we get on and off the ship.

The reason I ask is that we have to be in the USA for 90 consecutive days as we are importing a car back to NZ. We do not want our passports stamped with another country between the dates we are visiting or we will not be able to go ahead with the import. Just a nuisance NZ regulation regarding imports!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Your passport will be checked by the cruiseline (not stamped) when you get on the ship. It normally (there are exceptions) is not checked or shown again while on the cruise. Where you might have trouble is re-entry into the United States.
US passports are scanned upon re-entry. Don't know what would happen with a NZ passport.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Your passport will not be stamped in any of the Caribbean ports of call but it sure will be stamped by US Immigration EVERYTIME you re-enter the United States, so keep that in mind.
Oh, just like a criminal, you'll also be finger-printed!!!

Captain
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Your passport will not be stamped in any of the Caribbean ports of call but it sure will be stamped by US Immigration EVERYTIME you re-enter the United States, so keep that in mind.

Captain
Fingerprinted????????????? ahhh I don't think so. I've been on two cruises and one airline flight outside the country, in the last months and I and no one else was fingerprinted when re-entering the U.S.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Mike, all foreigners are supposed to be photgraphed and fingerprinted every time they enter the US. As I have only entered via "US citizen" lines, I have not seen this personally but that is the rule.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sorry, did not see that the OP was a New Zealander. Yes, foreign travelers are fingerprinted when entering the U.S..

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Quote:

Captain
Fingerprinted????????????? ahhh I don't think so. I've been on two cruises and one airline flight outside the country, in the last months and I and no one else was fingerprinted when re-entering the U.S.

Take care,
Mike
you telling me Mike that they no longer fingerprint "aliens", I do belive that is the misnomer used to identify non-UScitizens?!?!?

Captain
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Quote:

Captain

Take care,
Mike
you telling me Mike that they no longer fingerprint "aliens", I do belive that is the misnomer used to identify non-UScitizens?!?!?

Captain
I responded to this in my last post. I guess we're both guilty of not throughly reading.

Also, I'm not sure if "aliens" have fingerprints. Those long skinny fingers seem pretty smooth to me.

Take care,
Mike

Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all your help. Gosh, so New Zealanders are 'aliens' ! . I hope another 'alien' that has been on a recent cruise can post with their experience. I don't mind getting finger printed, or passport scanned, I just don't want that stamp! .

What if we didn't get off the ship for the whole cruise? Surely we havn't left the USA if we don't visit any other countries? Of course we would love to see Cozumel or some of the other islands, but we could just stay in a deck chair on the boat!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Makes no difference if you do not get off the ship. You have left the country and you will have to go thru the re-entry process into the U.S. Whatever they do on your initial entry into the U.S. is quite likely what they will do the second time. There is plenty to see without leaving the country.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwidebs
Thanks for all your help. Gosh, so New Zealanders are 'aliens' ! . I hope another 'alien' that has been on a recent cruise can post with their experience. I don't mind getting finger printed, or passport scanned, I just don't want that stamp! .

What if we didn't get off the ship for the whole cruise? Surely we havn't left the USA if we don't visit any other countries? Of course we would love to see Cozumel or some of the other islands, but we could just stay in a deck chair on the boat!

kiwidebs, I hate to be the one to tell you: wishful thinking!

Unfortunately, the we treat bona-fide visitors to our great country the same way we treat criminals: we take their mugshot and their fingerprints everytime they enter the US.
If you are going on a cruise and you are an alien (that IS how Uncle Sam refers to foreigners) upon your return and re-entry into the USA , you will:

Have your mugshot taken again
Be fingerprinted again
If you have a multiple entry visa and you have an I-94 document, you will have to get a new I-94 document upon re-entry as your original I-94 would have been surrendered when you board the ship.
Your passport will be stamped with the date of re-entry.

Unfortunately there is NOTHING you can do about it, if the car is that important to you, do not leave the US for 90 days if you wish to comply with whatever laws you guys have in NZ. There really is no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Captain