Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Beginner

Default Transportation in Bejing from Seaport to town

We are arriving in Bejing (Tianjin) on March 24, 2008 on Nautica. Need info on transportation from Ship to Beijing. Since this is our last stop. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Passenger

From what I heard, the port is very far away from Bejing and even Tianjin
Bejing- 3 hours journey; Tianjin- 1 hour journey.

And the transportation is terrible... so I suggest you to take the shuttle arranged by the cruise company.

Past Cruises:
Super Star Leo 08/04/00;Star Pisces 08/12/01;
Omar II 2002; Star Pisces 06/08/04; Omar III 09/17/05;
Golden Princess 01/15/06; Star Pisces 07/09/06; SuperStar Aquarius 3D2N 07/06/07;
SuperStar Libra 3D2N 01/16/08; Rhapsody OTS 6D5N 02/08/08;
SuperStar Virgo 4D3N 05/18/08
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Admiral

If this is your final stop, and you are planning to spend some time in Beijing, I would arrange a private transfer and guide. On our visit last year, Regent put us up overnight and included two full days of touring for no charge; of course, this was in the middle of the cruise and not the end. For our trip later this year, we are using Explorient (www.explorient.com). They arrange all transfers, provide private car with driver and guide along with admission tickets. Friends used them recently and truly liked their service.

You might want to check the various China or Asia boards on this site or others such as www.flyertalk.com (a sister site to this site), trip advisor, frommers, or cruisecritic. I would also recommend a google search.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Xingang (the main port for Beijing) is almost 90 miles away. I strongly suggest that you arrange transportation or through a private tour company.

A taxi is not a really viable option and the port area is not a simple layout. There is a train station and people "talk" about using it but it's a pain in the rear and the vast majority of people who tried to use it ended up either staying in Xingang or trying to find a private driver.

I used TravelChinaguide and had a very good experience. There are other operators and cruise line tours available.

If you do decide to go on your own, obtain your passport from the ship before you depart. You will need it to check into a hotel or exchange money. I suggest using bank ATM machines. They are far easier, most have an "English" option and no need to show a passport to obtain currency.

The main thing to remember is "If you go on your own, you are on your own if you don't make it back to the ship."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me