Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Beginner

Default STEINER CRUISE- Tricked into selling detox programs

Hello everyone,
My brother has recently secured a position working on Steiner Cruises in what he was told was a personal training position (resident personal training assistant during voyages). He has paid an air fare to fy to the UK and is currently being housed in a haflway house that is primarily used for recently released prison inmates.

At his first training session (the first of a course that last for a full month in the UK before he boards his first vessel) he was told that he will not be doing personal training, but instead he will be selling detox products and programs. This was never mentioned to him before his arrival. He is now in a training program that last from 8am until 10am every day and focuses almost exclusively on detox products, how to sell them, how to run seminars that sell them etc.

Needless to say, I am pretty upset about this and intend to ensure that a) by brother is compensated for this deception and 2) that others do not fall into the same trap.

My question here is, has anyone else ever heard of anything like this with Steiner? I am looking for any information at all that will help me build a fully accurate picture of the situation.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am sorry to say that Steiner is well-known for pushing its beauty product line, and that they would put someone in a position like this through extensive training to do so does not surprise me at all.

However, the way you phrase it, you make it sound like your brother had no idea what he was getting into when he signed up with Steiner, or that they are holding him captive or something. That's Steiner. Just reading our ship reviews or crew message boards would tell you that.

Steiner does include on a pretty "hard sell" as a portion (usually at the end) of every massage, facial or other service they offer, but it is just a part of the job. My guess is that your brother is a little upset about that, but exagerating when he says that is the only thing his job entails.
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Admiral

I'm not sure what you mean by "detox products" but I do know that Steiners agressively pushes its products on ships. In the middle of a massage, you get a heavy pitch to buy stuff. I've been told that those working in the spa get most of their pay in commissions from the products (I'm not sure if this is true). It's one reason why I never get Steiners spa treatments. That and the fact that the treatments are overpriced and the quality is frequently poor.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Admiral

You state that he is in " ...a training program that last from 8am until 10am every day...." like it is some grueling ordeal.
2 hours a day is nothing.

You also say that you are going get him compensation for this deception...I gaurantee you that STEINER has covered their butt.

It's quite possible that your brother couldn't see the forest for the trees.(heard/read what he wanted to hear/read)