CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Is sea sickness like car sickness? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/346945-sea-sickness-like-car-sickness.html)

lauera9482 February 18th, 2008 09:43 PM

Is sea sickness like car sickness?

I get car sick really easily if I try to read something. Does this mean I will get sea sick if I read something on the ship? I don't have any problems on planes I can read fine without getting sick. Are ships similar to planes or cars?

I have been on many small habor cruise ships in Boston and didn't get sick, but is it easier to get sick on a big ship or small ship?

I will be going on my first cruise soon and am getting worried about this.

Mike M February 19th, 2008 07:01 PM

Re: Is sea sickness like car sickness?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauera9482
I get car sick really easily if I try to read something. Does this mean I will get sea sick if I read something on the ship? I don't have any problems on planes I can read fine without getting sick. Are ships similar to planes or cars?

I have been on many small habor cruise ships in Boston and didn't get sick, but is it easier to get sick on a big ship or small ship?

I will be going on my first cruise soon and am getting worried about this.

I strongly doubt that you will become seasick if you take a cruise. Becoming car sick while reading is because your body is feeling one thing while your eyes are seeing another. The only exception that I can think of is if you spend a lot of time in an inside cabin with fairly rough seas.

I would be precautionary and take Bonine (Meclizine) with you.

Take care,
Mike

fh0702 February 20th, 2008 04:07 PM

Rule of thumb:
the larger the ship the lower the probability of getting seasick.
First time cruisers prone to seasickness should try a ship at least 85000 tons big.
Don't worry to much and enjoy your first cruise!
May I ask which destination do you cruise?

LisaK February 21st, 2008 10:43 AM

if you don't get sick reading on an airplane you most likely will not on the ship. I would suggest you read outside on your balcony if you have one, on deck or poolside

rollerdonna February 21st, 2008 10:21 PM

Lauera, I am the most notorious person for motion sickness, and have never yet been sick once on a cruise ship (10 cruises so far!). I have however, been nauseous on a tender (small boat transporting us from ship to shore in certain ports) and just recently, violently ill on a small boat excursion when the seas turned choppy. I never go anywhere without Gravol (Canadian version of Dramamine or Bonine), and still have to use it to fly or take a train or long bus ride. I can't read on any other mode of travel either, but I can read on a cruise ship. Go figure! :roll:

donna