Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Beginner

Default Embarking late (or disemarking and re-embark) for a cruise

If I meet a cruise at a scheduled mid-cruise point, how soon in advance would I need to arrive (in case of schedule changes, such as due to weather) and how would I find out about any changes? This cruise leaves from Buenos Aires and goes to Valparaiso, Chile. For a number of reasons, I am considering either meeting the cruise in Ushuaia (at no discount over the full price, of course) or disemarking in Montevideo and then rejoining the cruise in Ushuaia (my wife would stay on the cruise the whole time), and then staying on the ship to Santiago. I was planning on arriving in Ushuaia the day before the ship´s scheduled arrivel there, but should I arrive two days in advance? I read of one cruise where the ship bypassed Cape Horn due to bad weather, went to Ushuaia, then back to Cape Horn. I realize it is sort of a strange question. Thak you.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

As far as I know, the cruiselines don't usually allow this kind of embarking/disembarking. I would check with the specific cruiseline and make sure you are able to do that. If so, I don't know how you'd know for sure if they can stop at a scheduled stop due to weather or some problem.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry to disagree with you Donna, but it is allowed as long as it isn't in US ports - that violates the Passenger Vessel services Act (what some people call the Jones Act).

One cruise four of us got off Grand Princess in Naples, rented a car, and drove to Livorno, spending one night in a hotel.

One thing you definitely want to be sure of - if you are flying into Brazil, and need to enter the country you will need a visa. I don't believe in-transit flyers need one, however, you never know what a Brazilian official will tell you. be sure and check all that out first.

As for arriving early, if you miss the ship it is YOUR problem, no insurance will cover what you are planning to do. However, ships are generally very good about keeping their schedules. I would estimate they are on time well over 95% of the time.