Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cost of shore excursions vs. pre/post cruise tours

HAL offers a three day trip to Machu Picchu from Lima Peru as a pre or post cruise tour, or as a shore excursion during a three day stop in Lima. The shore excursion costs about twice as much as the pre/post tour, ($3199 vs. $1649) and has about the same itinerary, according to HAL's brochures. Is this kind of price gouging of the round trip passenger typical of the cruise business? I know they mark up the shore excursions a lot, but yikes!
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Here is my take on your question. The cruise line may or may not be using the same company for the tours. You may be staying in different hotels, and bottom line is, while your on the ship the cruise line has a captive audience. They know your are there for a limited time so they can jack up the price. Hope this helps.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have never been to Peru, but I am guessing it is also other factors such as proximity to the ship vs. the city of Lima, etc. I think they make a pretty consistent profit on every tour, and don't do price gouging just because it is a ship shore tour vs a pre-cruise.

If anything, I have always thought cruise line pre/post tours were expensive usually because they us the top tier hotels in every city.

In Rome the pre-cruise hotel was a $600/night Marriot. We stayed a few blocks away for$150/night.