Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Default Checked Luggage Precautions

Hi,
I am new to cruising. We are on a May NCL Alaska cruise out of Vancouver (I'm Cdn.). As such, I have been doing some research around some questions I have. I have not been able to find much, if anything, on this topic:
I have heard that checked luggage is hand searched (and for this reason, to put stuff in plastic bags).
Is checked luggage hand searched?
Should checked luggage be locked?
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

We always lock our checked luggage. The luggage is xrayed and I have seen dogs sniffing a few.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I can't speak for Canada Customs, but homeland Security DOES hand check checked luggage at the airport and at the port. I have first hand experience with this, two out of the three cruises I have taken I have had one of my suitcases checked by HS at the US airport. The buggers can't even pack the goods back in the suitcase nicely to protect what they were searching for (in my case bottles of hot sauce and jerk seasoning). They repacked my bags so poorly a bottle of vanilla I bought started to leak!!

Canadian Customs might not be better, but it is a right royal pain when your bags are checked.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Are you cruising out of Vancouver or Seattle? Makes a difference in the answer you will get.

If you are going to Vancouver and driving to the port, you can lock your luggage and hand it to the porters at the dock.

If you are flying either domestically in Canada or to Seattle, your luggage will have to be unlocked, have TSA approved locks that they can open or secured with something like cable ties that can be easily cut. Me, I use the cable ties for the flights.......and I resecure the luggage after I collect it at baggage claim with either more cable ties or luggage locks before turning the luggage over to the porters at the dock.

When I disembark the ship (I have never used self-debarkation), I always secure the luggage with the locks and after I claim it, switch out the locks for the cable ties for the screening at the airport

If you use self debarkation - meaning you get off the ship first, but you have to handle all your luggage on your own (and the cruise lines staff will NOT help you at all) and drag it all off the ship yourself, you can secure it before you disembark the ship.

Like I said, if you are driving to and from the port and not flying, lock your luggage.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Re: Checked Luggage Precautions

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_marshal
Hi,
I am new to cruising. We are on a May NCL Alaska cruise out of Vancouver (I'm Cdn.). As such, I have been doing some research around some questions I have. I have not been able to find much, if anything, on this topic:
second, if you pack anything that contains liquid/glass, place it in a zip lock bag. Yes anything and everthing that can break must be protected to insure your clothes are not damaged. If you have any designer clothing, make sure it is protected in dry cleaner plastic.
This
Always take the EXTRA measures to protect your property, if you read your passage ticket, boarding pass. the cruise lines do not except any responsibility and the airline disclaimer covers most everything that does happen to your luggage.
I suggest that you review your home owners insurance, some policies cover limited articals when traveling. Travel insurance is a option aswell.
includes your shoes, polish will damage anything that it comes in contact with.
Third, use zip ties, colored if possible. this will tell you if your luggage has been tampered with outside of your pocession.
About checking your luggage, yes, agents from Canada and the US may check and do check luggage at all ports air and sea, thats there job.

Note: I have had items stolen from bags, the port staff are outside employees that are not working for the cruise lines. They have the ability to remove items that are easily accessable.

My suggestion, carry your luggage on and off the ship. You can have your clothes completly unpacked as within 20 minutes of reaching your cabin. I have had occations where my luggage was not transferred to my cabin untill the first seating.
I have heard that checked luggage is hand searched (and for this reason, to put stuff in plastic bags).
Is checked luggage hand searched?
Should checked luggage be locked?