Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Passenger

Default Carrying on luggage.

Hi I was just wondering if we are only carrying on a few bags if we can just carry our on luggage? We are driving to port and want to be able to just get on the ship and go put our clothes away and not have to worry about it. Also if we want to carry it out ourselves when we get back to port can we just keep it in our cabin and walk off ship with it when we leave?
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

To board the ship all luggage must be screened.

If you take only pieces that will fit through the machine for carry ons, you can take it onboard. If they are too large you'll be directed to take the bags outside to the porters to check them.

On most cruise lines, for disembarking the vessel they do have the option of keeping your bags with you, but only if you can get them off the ship with NO assistance.

If you chose to take them yourselves you'll also be required to be off the ship very early in the morning (@7:30), before the regular disembarkation begins.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Passenger

Thank you so much, I've just been reading different things and was not really sure how to handle it. I've read where some said just do your carry on and you don't have to worry about anyone getting into your luggage. How do you seasoned travelers handle all of the checking of bags and all. Do we just hand them off when we get there, how do we mark them and lock them and such. I'm a first timer, i've never even traveled by plane much less a cruise. Also wondering how to handle expensive camera gear, any help here would be appreciated. Thanks
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

With your cruise documents, you will receive some baggage tags to attach to your luggage. Some of them have your cabin number printed on the tag and some of them you have to fill it in. Put this tag on all the bags you will give to the porters. Make sure that your cabin number is visible and legible. (Otherwise, it might be a while before it makes it to your cabin.)

When you get to the port, they will direct you to the porters. Hand over your bags and a small tip (around $1 per bag). The porters will put your bags in a big cart to be carried aboard ship. You can lock them with a TSA-approved lock but I would not recommend putting anything valuable in them. Your cabin steward will bring your luggage to your room sometime that afternoon. Ours usually shows up during lifeboat drill for some reason. Sometimes, they put them in the cabin and sometimes they leave them in the hallway.

As for your camera equipment, put that in your carry-on bag. I also put all jewelry and medication in my carry-on as well.

If you decide that you want to carry on all your luggage, it must fit through a standard carry-on scanner. And you may have to keep it with you a couple of hours since they don't always allow you to drop it off at the cabin when you first board. I can remember seeing one couple who decided that they wanted to carry all their luggage on and had 3-4 carry-ons apiece. They were struggling to get all that stuff around the ship until the doors were opend so you could drop stuff at your cabin.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -