Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Beginner

Default Booking Cruise the Day of Sailing

Does anyone have any experience booking a cruise at the pier the day of sailing? I didn't think you could still do it with the security regulations, but I spoke with both Carnival and Royal Carribean and they said you can.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I thought since 911, and the incredible security restrictions, that was a no no.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

From what I've read, you need 72 hours before the cruise to book? Did that change?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Donna and Trip, maybe Paul can call Carnival, RCI, and others and check for the correct answer? To say "I thought" and "from what I've read" when the OP has already talked to Carnival and RCI does not seem like the best answers. Paul is really good at tracking down the right answers with the cruise lines; this seems like a good question for him to ask. Althought "my recollection" is the same as yours, it would be great to have it verified.

edited to add:

Looks like the OP also asked on another forum to get similar replies. However, he called the pier and learned the following:

Quote:
I spoke with the pier this morning. RCCl will not allow anyone to book at the pier less than 24 hours in advance. Carnival however will allow bookings at the pier. The cruises I were interested in just happened to be fully booked with no cancellations, otherwise they would have been glad to accept bookings at the pier..
As for the legal requirements, the passenger manifest must be transmitted 15 minutes prior to sailing; however, the requirement is changing to 60 minutes. Here is the link to the Federal Register:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/..._departure.pdf

I don't know where this 72 hour rumour got started; it would be great to get the correct information more widely disseminated.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Just an FYI. I've booked three cruises under 72 hours since 9/11. One less than 24 hrs b4 departure. All on Carnival. RCL (as the OP found out) doesn't really encourage it.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.