Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Beginner

Default Passport Confusion!!!!!!

Hello!

I have read everything I can find and it all seems conflicting. Do I need a passport for a cruise to the Cayman Islands and Jamaica??? I know it would be best to have one, but do I HAVE to have one? Some things said a drivers license and birth certificate until "summer 2008" was sufficient. I can't figure it out. I guess I could call a travel agent tomorrow but I thought I would ask here first. Our cruise would be in September or October.

Thanks!
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Admiral

What cruise line? Some cruise lines require a passport no matter what the current State Department rules may be.

Here are the passport rules posted on CruiseMates in May 2008:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/news/TSA.cfm

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Beginner

Most likely Carnival. We have been pricing cruises this week and want to go in September or October. We could get a passport but money is tight as it is but this is our 10th anniversary and we have never done anything for ourselves and have just decided we are just going to do it darn it!! So if we can avoid the passports we would like to. The other thing I was worried about was if we did try to get them would we even get them in time? Aren't they really backed up getting them out to people? Thanks for your help!

Debbie
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Debbie,
These days, the turn around for passports is a lot shorter than it used to be, you have plenty of time, but get going and just get them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default get a passport

Howdy Debbie

we are cruising on the conquest in dec...i had planned to go with no passports but after much research and ?s
i have gotten one. (received it in approx - 2 weeks after applying)

the reasoning is, you can cruise without it BUT if there is an accident, illness, or emergency @ home you have to have a passport to FLY back home!!!! it's like insurance...get it so you won't need it!
this was news to me. Hence i now have a passport. good for 10 yrs. Now i have to travel more to get my $$ worth RIGHT!

thanks debbyedoops
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Debbie,
Keep in mind that this is summer, 2008. By fall, you'll be past that deadline. I get trying to save a few dollars. We're all doing it one way or another, but it would be worse to show up for your cruise and be denied boarding.
Marty
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Passport Confusion!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuli4

Hello!

I have read everything I can find and it all seems conflicting. Do I need a passport for a cruise to the Cayman Islands and Jamaica??? I know it would be best to have one, but do I HAVE to have one? Some things said a drivers license and birth certificate until "summer 2008" was sufficient. I can't figure it out. I guess I could call a travel agent tomorrow but I thought I would ask here first. Our cruise would be in September or October.

Thanks!
Debbie
Debbie,

Someone is going to tell you: "Yes, all you need is a drivers license and a birth certificate and that's what you will take." You may just get on the ship but you probably won't.

GET THE PASSPORT!!! You have plenty of time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Captain

There was another cruiser who posted on one of the boards. He and his wife went to cruise and was detained at check in because they said there birthcertifice didn't have a raised seal or something. They even had another copy faxed to the pier but they still wouldn't accept it. Unless you want to take the chance of being detained and missing the cruise I would suggest to get the passports. It only cost about $100.00 each and takes less than 2 weeks to come back.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Captain

Personally i would just suck it up and get the passport for all the reasons mentioned above.

But the goverment will shortly be issuing a card for surface travel only. I believe this will include the caribbean Mexico etc but you will be able to fly with it.

See This Link.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...passport_N.htm
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I still have my receipt from where I got mine through the US Postal Service. The total was $116.05. Breakdown of charges since I did EVERYTHING thru the USPS:
$25.00 USPS Passport fee
$15.00 Photo Services fee
$75.00 Passport Fee
$1.05 Money Order Fee

It was applied for on 2/29/08 (a friday at 430pm) and received back in the mail on 3/6/08. Sure can not beat that!!

Get it and that is one less thing you will have to worry about.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008