Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:19 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama
Default Brazilian Visa

Hi: Will post these ??? here as well - I am part of a large group on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas repositioning cruise around South America next Jan. '09. A visa for Brazil is reqired - we already know that. However,
depending on the state in which you reside - the aplication questions
are different (crazy, IMO). Some state that just the "invoice" from your travel agent is proof that the cruise is paid for and you will be returning to
the US. Others (consulates) require "actual copies of the RCCL invoices indicating
payment in full, actual ports visited and airline tkts for the return to the US.
As we want to apply for the visas by mid-October - some of us who booked their return air through RCCL won't have that info until 15 - 30 days prior to departure. So just
how strict are these rules and what have others' experienced when
applying for the Brazilian visa?? Thanks.

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am planning on a Nov 2009 S Am. cruise that includes Brazil. My reaction is similar. The visa requirements look like a series of "gotchas". Two aspects of this scare me: (1) I have to mail in my passport, and (2) I have to pay for the cruise BEFORE I run the visa obstacle course. It looks like too many things can go wrong.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
First Mate

Definately take out travel insurance - especially the cancellation part - we
went with Travelsafe and bought the optional "cancel for any reason" coverage. MIL is 92 and not in good health and my DH's business is a 24/7 operation so you just "never know". You have to wait until 90 days
prior to your departure BEFORE you can apply for the visa so I would
think that your final payment would be due about the same time.
We are getting our airfare through RCCL and won't know the schedules
until 30 days out - that's our issue - how can we submit our itinerary
if we don't have all the documents?? I know Brazil wants to be sure tourists DON'T end up living there permanently but why make this all so difficult -?? (Heard that the procedure may be in retailiation as Brazilian
citizens have hassles getting US visas). Why can't the world GROW UP !

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Brazilian Visa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
Hi: Will post these ??? here as well - I am part of a large group on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas repositioning cruise around South America next Jan. '09. A visa for Brazil is reqired - we already know that. However,
depending on the state in which you reside - the aplication questions
are different (crazy, IMO). Some state that just the "invoice" from your travel agent is proof that the cruise is paid for and you will be returning to
the US. Others (consulates) require "actual copies of the RCCL invoices indicating
payment in full, actual ports visited and airline tkts for the return to the US.
As we want to apply for the visas by mid-October - some of us who booked their return air through RCCL won't have that info until 15 - 30 days prior to departure. So just
how strict are these rules and what have others' experienced when
applying for the Brazilian visa?? Thanks.
My advice is use the visa service that RCCL recommends. Most cruise lines use Zeirer Visa Services. www.zvs.com It will lessen the headaches and expedite the process. It is always a requirement to send in your passport when applying for almost any visa. If you are not flying in or out of Brasil you should not need to show airline tickets. The ship's itinerary should be adequate. You just write that you are arriving by ship on the visa application.

If you decide to go it on your own then you can try it with the just the ship's documentation and itinerary. Make sure it is the actual copies of the invoices from RCCL and it includes the itinerary.

I have done the Brasilian visa thing and found it more of a hassle than a Chinese visa. It is also as expensive.

Since there was no Brasilian consulate in my area I did the visa service. It was well worth the money. Let someone else worry about the passport and running it back and forth to the consulate and handling the questions.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Brazilian visa rigmarole is simply deliberate harassment of United States citizens, although it seems we took our friends in Canada and Mexico over the side with us. When researching “Brazilian visa requirements” I found the following:

Citizens of the following countries are not required to have a visa to visit Brazil for TOURISM purposes for up to 90 days: Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Morocco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vatican, Venezuela.

The USA, Canada, and Mexico are conspicuous by their absence from this list.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdgp
The Brazilian visa rigmarole is simply deliberate harassment of United States citizens, although it seems we took our friends in Canada and Mexico over the side with us. When researching “Brazilian visa requirements” I found the following:

Citizens of the following countries are not required to have a visa to visit Brazil for TOURISM purposes for up to 90 days: Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Morocco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vatican, Venezuela.

The USA, Canada, and Mexico are conspicuous by their absence from this list.
I don't know if it's "harassment". It's more like "getting even". Brasil charges the same amount that the U.S. charges Brasilian ciitizens to obtain a U.S. visa. Thankfully, it takes less time to obtain a Brasilian visa then it takes Brasilians to obtain a U.S. visa. It was raised after 9/11. Brasil is not a part of the Visa Waiver Program at this time but may be in 2009. If that happens then fees will be lowered or visas may be eliminated.

It took my SIL three months to obtain a U.S. visa and the process was even worse than what we go through to get a Brasilian visa. The U.S. State Department actually called us to verify that she would be staying with us during the duration of our visit. Oh yeah, they also asked me if I was a U.S. citizen even though we had to be in order to vouch for her.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Travel Guard does have an optional "cancel for any reason" rider that can be added to their policies. It would cover this but it must be purchased within 15 days of your initial deposit date. If you booked more than 2 weeks ago it is no good. Otherwise you may want to buy it to put your mind at ease. I am quite familiar with Travel Guard and I do not believe it would be covered under any of their regular policies. If your TA is licensed to sell Travel Guard, have them call their rep to see what the official policy on visa denial is. If you are buying directly from AIG then call one of the live agents. In my opinion AIG ( Travel Guard) is one of the better Travel Insurance providers. If anyone does cover that reason it would be them. As much as I like them, I have found that once in a while some of the live agents do not always have the answer on unusual situations like this. That is why I suggested having your TA call their rep. The area supervisors are highly knowledgeable and will give very accurate information.
As for the visa, it's a pain in the you -know-what. My parents and other family taking the 6 week Mariner trip as well. I will apply for my parents visa personally in Miami. I'm there 3 times a month and the visas take 2 days. If you are near the consulate for your jurisdiction, you may want to apply in person. The other couple will have to mail them and I was told the response time in their jurisdiction will be about 10 to 14 business days. You must use Express mail only with tracking so it is fairly safe to mail the passports.

Like the staff already said, unless you are a felon or have some really bad blood with the nation of Brazil, it is unlikely that you will have any problems. While I would not go so far as to say the requirements are harassment, I do agree that it appears to be a bit retalitory. We do make it very difficult for many Brazilians to come here. All of the visa information can be found at the Brazilian Embassy web site http://www.brasilemb.org/ . You can link to the regional consulates from there for specific details on how to obtain your visa.
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Passenger

Default Visa in brasil

We were not notified by Princess cruises about the need for a visa in Brasil until a few days AFTER the 60 day cancellation period had elapsed.
By this time we either passed on the cruise or forked out the extra $400 for the visa. This amounts to an extra half million dollar payout to Brasil for the patrons of this cruise.... in additon to the regular port charges... for the joy of visiting the port of forteleza for three hours.
I`ll be asking more questions the next time I book a cruise...well before the 60 day deadline.
And probably not with Princess....
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Hate to be a "Nag" about this but did you read the fine print in the back
of the cruise brochures - clearly states that "it is the passenger's sole responsibility to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have
them available when necessary. These appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal
documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries. etc., etc." This information is also "highlighted" in the brochure to draw your attention to it.

However, I do agree that Princess and any other cruise line should make
a point of reminding the customers about this. After all, now difficult would a letter or email be ?????

Old October 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

If Brazil is a principle destination (such as a trip up the Amazon), it makes sense to go through the visa hassle. What I don't understand is why the cruise lines will include one short stop in Brazil on a long South American cruise. Skip that stop and save everybody a lot of trouble and expense.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM
First Mate

Well, for our particular cruise on the Mariner of the Seas next January, 2009 we are
stopping at two Brazilian cities: Salvador de Bahia for a day and then
a two-day stop in Rio. That and an overnite in Buenos Aires and Valpariso
where the ship can be our hotel was a great plus !! The visa is good for
5 years in case we return - the biggest hassle is the Yellow Fever shot - different "official" answers as to whether it is a "requirement" or a "recommendation". So, guess that's another unplanned-for expense.
Good thing about the shots is that they are good for 10 years.

Old October 19th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

The silliest requirement in this Brazil visa routine is requiring different applications depending on what state you live in. Oh come on! This is nothing but a bureaucratic “gotcha”.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific