Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Beginner

Default Need help with flight home from Anchorage

So here is my situation, I have been putting off booking my flight for next month becuase I don't know what to do. We end our cruise in Whittier and arrive at midnight on Saturday, September 13. I want to be able to get home (Washington DC) that same day so that I have Sunday to recover before going back to work. I also have a very important football game I NEED to watch that starts at 8:00pm that evening. So here is my issue. There are several flights leaving Anchorage around 2:30 in the morning on September 13 that will get me home in time.

Can I make that flight? Is that enough time?

If I don't leave until 6:00am I won't get home in time to watch the game. The available flights seem to stop departing around 2:30am and start up again around 6:00am so there isn't anything around 4:00am which might have worked.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default TIVO

Your football game appears to be very important.

You may want to weight your options, if you do not arrive at the required check-in time, the airline will resale your seat (s).

I suggest getting a hotel and watching the game in a sports bar, then fly home the next morning.
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

There is absolutey no way you will make a 0230 flight from Anchorage with a midnight arrival in Whittier. You will not even make an 0630 flight! If you really HAVE to watch that football game, take an extra day of vacation on Monday......spend the night in Anchorage and take a 0230 flight home on Monday AM.
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Beginner

WOW- We wouldn't even make a 6:30 flight? I guess i underestimated the difficulty of getting to Anchorage. What time should we be looking for a flight to leave then?

Stupidly, I hadn't thought of Tivo. Not quite the same but a good option all the same. I know it sounds ridiculous but I grew up watching college football and I count down the days until the season starts. This is one of the most important games of the season OSU vs. USC. Go BUCKS!

I'd really prefer not to take another day off Monday because I just started a new job a month ago. I'm lucky to get the six days off that I have already requested!
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

They won't start disembarking the ship until 6:00am or so. Then, you have to wait your turn to go through the tunnel that connects Whittier with the road to Anchorage (the tunnel is shared with trains and is a one lane tunnel, so only one direction at a time, trains alternating with traffic.) What looks like an 60 - 90 minute drive can take a LONG time if you don't hit the tunnel at the right time. I remember we waited almost 45 minutes for our turn to go through the tunnel.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Beginner

Thanks so much for your insight. We've done the Alaska cruise before but never have come out of Anchorage. I booked my cruise through Vacations to Go and they said that I could get off the ship when it reaches the port and that I wouldn't have to wait.

I think I will give Princess a call.

Thanks again!