Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Default First cruise was Disney..now what?

We took the kids on our first ever cruise in Sept. with Disney. We - of course thought it was great!! Next Sept./Oct. 09 we would like to plan an adult only vacation. We know we could do disney again but could not live with ourselves leaving the kids.

My question is who should we sail with? It will be just my husband and I we can't be gone longer than 4 or 5 nights. I was looking at Royal - enchanment of the sea - but was not sure....Carnival is a little cheaper but is it as nice. We are looking for some R and R and some sun. Money is a concern....thank you in advance for your advice. This website helped make our disney criuse so flawless!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Admiral

We love Carnival, especially for a fairly short get away. FYI, we are not young, not partiers, not elderly, just middle class, middle aged, middle just about whatever!
Marty
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well, Disnet tends to be about 30% more expensive than any other cruise lines.

I do not know your "adult" tastes - if you want entertainment or quiet, if you want pool games or more intellectual things like cooking classes.

If you want a classy, quieter cruise at a great value price I would recommend Holland America. if you want more interaction and fun, the Carnival is good.

If you like sports and people watching - Royal Caribbean mega-ships (140,000-tons or more) are lots of fun.

I do suggest trying to stretch it to 7-days. You get a much nicer experience with newer ships and better ports of call. Not that much more expensive.

Old October 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Familiar Face

You didn't say how old the kids are. I would personally take them on Royal Caribbean. They have a great kids program. If they are older kids, there is a lot to do.
I wouldn't recommend Holland. They don't have a lot to do for kids. Carnival is a much younger crowd so they tend to party more. My kids love Royal.

Old October 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think she said the next cruise is without the kids - adults only. She said she wouldn't take Disney again without taking the kids, but she wants to try a new cruise line.

Old October 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Familiar Face

OOPS. I guess I didn't see the line that said adults only. I'm thinking if you went with kids on Disney, you are not that old. Holland America is a great line & they have good food, but, I think they would be too old for you. You can't go wrong with Royal Caribbean. But, if it's just the 2 of you, I would try to find a good price on Celebrity. It's a little more upscale with a little better service.

Old October 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Thanks-all good advice! I think we are looking for a little action and a little poolside/hot tub laying. Boy would we love a 7 day cruise but can't leave the little ones that long.

We are in our early-mid 30s and like a little party but not with 20-somthings (no offense we just can't keep up like we used too) looks like Royal will be a safe bet...going to look at Holland today. If anyone else has 2-cents to throw in please do! Thanks again!!
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Admiral

I did not find Holland to be that much of an older crowd. Somewhat older, yes, but it is my favorite line, with Carnival a close second.
Whatever you pick, have fun.
Marty
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Carnival is NOT for theyounger crowd. Nope, juding by the number of 50+ on the Conquest in February, no.....Each sailing is different and the last cruise I went on in September there was a good mix of all ages. The average being in their 30's to 40's. They have lots of activitis, good ports of call, and the food is wonderful!!!!

Do try to stretch it to seven days and leave the kids with the grandparents. I'd say a Conquest class ship because they have the chocolate buffet, and that is so delicious it would make anyone on a diet give up the diet for a day..Heck. their desserts at lunch are to die for. Love the chocolate concord cake, Napoleans, andkey lime pie (to die for!)

Carnival's kids program is also rated as #1.....

I hope you pick one that will make you happy!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Singing Mommy,

I agree, try RCCL and if you can bring the children, RCCL has a children's program as well. Maybe that way you could stretch it to 7 days. I know you wanted to the cruise to be an 'adults only'.

Good luck and happy cruising in whichever cruise line you pick.

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2009
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2009
Celebrity Equinox 2010 ?
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

I would seriously look into the Grand Class ships of Princess, big but not huge, lots to do and see, good variety of all ages
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If you are going on anything less than 7 days your only choices are Royal Caribbean, Carnival or NCL.

I did not know you were in your 30s. I would go with Carnival, one of the larger ships. In general the Royal Caribben ships that do short cruises are older and not nearly as special as their newer mega-ships.

Try to get on a ship 100-tons or larger. If you end up on a smaller carnival ship, look for one that has a waterparl (this means it has had the upgrades installed for th Fantasy-class).

Old October 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks!

That helps. I've read several not-so-hot reviews of Carnival so I was a little worried. Since we just cruised with Disney we did'nt want to be too disappointed with a 3.5 star ship....but maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing. We have gotten the ok from our family to take the 7 day if we can swing it. Looking at all options now. Your advice helps - thank you!
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Familiar Face

If you get the 7 day, I'd definitely say one of the big Royal Caribbean Ships. The Freedom & Liberty are awesome & the largest. The Voyager Class is really good. You would really have a good time. Let us know what you end up doing. I'm sure you'll have a good time no matter what you do.

Old November 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Passenger

We did Carnival after Disney - and while the kids loved it, DH and I who used to be fine with Carnival and okay with RC - we hated the food and the crowds. We were on a new big ship - but the service and the food and the lack of MILLIONS of people on the Disney ships ruins you for the general population lines if you ask me.

We are looking now for a Feb. trip with kids and I am stuck, nothing sounds like a clear choice.

Good luck, but be prepared to lower your expecations - IMO.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Admiral

MGT - seriously look into Princess, the Grand Class of Ships, they are big but not huge like the Freedom Class of RCI. There will be plenty of activities for the kids and parents alike, never felt overwhelmed or crowded by people, food and service were really good. For me personally Princess is a notch or two above RCI when it comes to service and food.