Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Default cruising alone by choice

ireally would like to cruise by myself and not be beholding to a roommate's desires. isthere a cruiseline that goes to alaska where the single supplement charge is reasonable?
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Admiral

If you have an Oceanview or Interior cabin, the single supplement would be 150% of the fare on Princess which I'd highly recommend. You might want to stop by AAA and pick up some brochures for the various cruise lines that travel to Alaska. You can get a better rate than AAA from an online agency.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I have never found AAA to have the best prices. I would suggest doing a lot of preliminary research using the on line sites here, so that you are well informed, then choose a good travel agent.
Alaska is awesome!
Marty
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to disagree as well..Ever time in the past years I checked AAA, they were always higher.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Admiral

To clarify - I did NOT recommend AAA ... just that it was a handy place to go to pick up brochures. I recommended an online cruise TA - in my case, Nancy B.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I reread it and it's my bad.....sorry

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 31st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

My bad, too. Read your post too quickly.
Marty
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: cruising alone by choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie13
ireally would like to cruise by myself and not be beholding to a roommate's desires. isthere a cruiseline that goes to alaska where the single supplement charge is reasonable?
I cruise solo on a regular basis, and I would have to recommend Holland America. They have some of the most reasonable single supplements of all the major cruise lines. The only ones I've found to be better are some of the luxury lines, but then with them you're paying a much higher initial fare.

Take a look at Holland America and see if they meet your needs.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: cruising alone by choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie13
ireally would like to cruise by myself and not be beholding to a roommate's desires
Just wanted to make a comment about this ...

Whether or not you are beholden to a roommate's desires depends on the relationship you establish long before the cruise. If that is the ONLY reason you want to sail solo, then maybe you are making a mistake in assuming that if you share a cabin you will be joined at the hip with the sharee.

Just establish your ground rules when initially exploring the possible share. Let the roommate know that you like to do your own thing and won't be joined with her at the hip. If she wants to join you for something you happen to be doing, fine. But you're not going to adjust your plans according to her desires.

I've found many share arrangements work out fine if there is a clear line of communication set up long before the cruise begins, and often you will have a pair of roommates who will rarely been seen around the ship together, with the possible exception of dinner. It's not that they don't like each other ... it's just that one likes doing things that are totally different from the tastes of the other. And, there's nothing wrong with that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:41 AM
First Mate

I cruised Crystal solo few years ago, it was the cheapest at that time,may be you can check to know more about. Good luck. MTL
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Admiral

When I was single, I cruised twice with 2 different friends. One was fine. We are both very independent and went our separate ways most of the time, meeting up for dinner. The other felt like a bloody leach! And, honestly, I would have guessed the reverse to be true. It can be very hard to establish rules beforehand. These were both good, long term friends and both times I thought we had established how things would go.

I am lucky in that my DH prefers my style of travel. We are so NOT joined at the hip. We usually pick one port to explore together, then wing it the rest of the time. Some couples think that is wrong, but we enjoy our travels together and love having new things to tell each other about.
Marty