Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default United Arlines baggage allowance

I will be flying with United in January. I usually go with Air Canada, but United had a fare that I couldn't pass up. I still can't find air to Miami for that time for under $1200. I paid $889 (Canadian). I am confused as to their baggage allowance. I saw something on the site that said a no baggage fee and fuel surcharge. Now, I check their link to baggage it says that Travel within Canada and US there is a $15/25 fee for the first/second bag. Now, ok, if they say no baggage fee, why does it still show that there is a fee.

Please, do tell me if there is a charge or not. Regardless, I need to bring two suitcases because I know I can't bring one and then my rolling carryon. I tried that in September and went away with considerable less goodies than I normally purchase. I had to pass on several items that I really didn't want to, but I knew I'd have no place to put them in my suitcase. I came home with both bags stuffed so full and a beach bag stuffed AND another loose bag with my conch shell and pinata....

Thanks!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I just flew United earlier in Oct. and once you check in, you'll need to check luggage and they require a $15.00 charge for each checked bag by using a CC then. That is for the first bag per passenger, then another fee for a second bag, so try to keep it down to one bag per passenger..

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Admiral

I just flew United September 15 and then again on October 25. I was charged nothing for the first bag, which came in under 50 pounds. However, on the way home from this six week vacation, I had "grown" a second bag and had to pay $25 for that one. I avoided a surcharge for the first bag by the skin of my teeth. It weighed in at 49.6 pounds.

Gotta stop buying so much "stuff" when cruising.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Hi Rita,
You didn't have to pay the $15.00 to check a bag. Flew United in Oct and had to pay that both ways...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I certainlyhope I can avoid the fee at all cost. I can accept the second bag charge no worries.

As for heavy items, I tend to pack those in my carry on because they ae usually the breakable items that baggage handlers seem to know are in the bag, hence, they toss the bag about so the item breaks....

46 days!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Admiral

I just checked the UAL web site and they are still showing a $15.00 charge for the first checked bag:
U.S./Canada checked baggage
Below is the checked baggage policy for United Economy® travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are traveling on an Economy ticket or an Economy award ticket, please refer to the information below to see which checked baggage fees may apply. Please note the fee exceptions below. All fees shown below are in U.S. dollars unless otherwise specified.

Checked baggage fees First bag
$15
Second bag,
each way $25
each way
Note: A $2 fee may apply for each bag checked via curbside check-in at certain U.S. airports.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Hi Rita,
You didn't have to pay the $15.00 to check a bag. Flew United in Oct and had to pay that both ways...
Nope! First bag was free up to 50 pounds. Maybe it had something to do with when I bought the tickets? I had purchased them online several months prior. This was an involved trip with various flights from various places, so it was booked, I'm guessing, prior to the first bag charge going in effect, but maybe after the second bag surcharge was added?

I paid first bag charges on none of the flights ... September 15 from Philly to Chicago, then from Chicago to Los Angeles ... September 19 from Los Angeles to Vancouver ... October 25 from San Diego to San Francisco and then San Francisco to Philly.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Hi Ky,
Yep, I think you purchased your tickets before the fee went into effect. Flew in Aug. and didn't have to pay, but then in Oct, had to pay the $15.00 per checked bag.

Message Boards Moderator