Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
quahog03

Default Yellow Fever Shot

Hi,
I'm hoping to sail on Royal Princess on 12/09/08. The ship stops at French Giana. I've been told I need a yellow fever shot.
Thanking you for any help,
Ed Klek
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Yellow Fever Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahog03
Hi,
I'm hoping to sail on Royal Princess on 12/09/08. The ship stops at French Giana. I've been told I need a yellow fever shot.
Thanking you for any help,
Ed Klek
Here is the quote from the U.S. State Department website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1124.html

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A passport and visa are required, as is evidence of a yellow fever vaccination. Travelers should obtain the latest information and details from the Embassy of Ghana, 3512 International Drive NW, Washington, DC 20008; telephone (202) 686-4520. Consular services are also available at the Ghana Permanent Mission to the UN at 19 East 47th Street, New York, NY 10017, telephone (212) 832-1300, and the Honorary Consulate of Ghana, 3434 Locke Lane, Houston, TX, telephone (713) 960-8806. Overseas, inquiries should be made at the nearest Ghanaian embassy or consulate. Visit the Embassy of Ghana web site at www.ghanaembassy.org for the most current visa information.

Based on this, the answer is yes, you need a yellow fever shot. Visit your doctor.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
quahog03

Default Yellow Fever Shot

Thanks Mike,I'll call tomorrow. I'll post what info I get.
Ed
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Ed,
You already know this, but if the shot is required, the cruise line may deny boarding to anyone who does not have proof that they got the shot. So, even if your doctor says you don't need it, call the cruise line first.
Marty
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Ed:

When I said: "Visit your doctor". I meant go and get the shot. You need it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Fellowcruisers,

Mike is correct.

If you want to get off the ship, (Venezuela - South America) you must have a certificate with you to disembark.

I do not know though, whether you need the certificate to board your cruise ship at the beginning of your cruise.

elf
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Admiral

The cruise lines do not want the hassle or delays needed to check everyone's doc's after getting to the port, so even if someone does not intend to get off the ship in a given port, you have to have requirements met and documented before they even let you get on board at the beginning of the cruise.
Since there is always the chance that I am wrong, Mike or someone please correct me if I'm off on this.
Marty
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM
quahog03

Default Thanks again for your help

This isn't a "cheap deal", looks like in this area, the hospitals use "Travel Clinics" What that means is $100.00 to tell you that you need the shot and another $100. for the shot, for a total of $200. The first question is what type of insurance do you have. At this time I think I'll past on the Royal Princess SA cruise.
ED[/b]
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Fellowcruisers,

Couldn't you go to a clinic for any shots needed? Here on our Island we have govt health clinics. You get free consultation and depending on the type of immunization, the shot can be free or a fee is charged.

elf