Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM
Passenger

Default What to do with luggage?

Hi-- I'm sailing on the Star Princess from Rio on 12/22/08 (a Monday). We'll actually be arriving in Rio on Saturday afternoon - se Deus quiser. We don't normally have much snow in Seattle, but I'm expecting we'll have some kind of a blizzard just as we're trying to leave

We have a city tour planned for Sunday with a local company (Club Rio 4 Tours - do you know anything about them?)

On Monday what I would like to do is check out of the hotel fairly early, get down to the Cruise Terminal (Praca Maua?), and then do some exploring of the downtown area before boarding the ship.

Do you know if it is possible to leave luggage somewhere in the terminal until it is time to board? Is the pier area a "safe" place to walk around during the day? Are there any points of interest in that general area of Rio. I speak Spanish and Portuguese, but it's been more than 20 years since I've been to Brazil, so I'm sure much has changed in that time.

Thanks for your help!

Sailing on Star Princess 12/22/08
Hablo espanol/Falo portugues
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Snow -- in Seattle -- don't be doing that to us -- the ones you left behind.

Call the cruise line and ask how early you can check in bags, but most of them want to get the leaving bags gone before the new ones start coming in. Most use the same area.

Go and enjoy your cruise and we'll stay behind and not enjoy the -- snow
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

There are usually porters by the cruise terminal before bording.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: What to do with luggage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestra

Hi-- I'm sailing on the Star Princess from Rio on 12/22/08 (a Monday). We'll actually be arriving in Rio on Saturday afternoon - se Deus quiser. We don't normally have much snow in Seattle, but I'm expecting we'll have some kind of a blizzard just as we're trying to leave

We have a city tour planned for Sunday with a local company (Club Rio 4 Tours - do you know anything about them?)

On Monday what I would like to do is check out of the hotel fairly early, get down to the Cruise Terminal (Praca Maua?), and then do some exploring of the downtown area before boarding the ship.

Do you know if it is possible to leave luggage somewhere in the terminal until it is time to board? Is the pier area a "safe" place to walk around during the day? Are there any points of interest in that general area of Rio. I speak Spanish and Portuguese, but it's been more than 20 years since I've been to Brazil, so I'm sure much has changed in that time.

Thanks for your help!
Bom Dia,

The pier area is relatively safe but I would grab a cab and go down to Copa Cabana or Ipanema beach areas. There are great restaurants and beautiful scenery.

In regard to your luggage it really depends on how early you plan on checking out of the hotel. If you plan on checking out "really" early then I would have the hotel hold your luggage until you are ready to go to the ship. Go back to the hotel, pick up your luggage and then proceed to the ship and board with your luggage.

If you are checking out a little later you may be able to check the luggage with the porters. If it is a standard noon boarding then they will probably start accepting luggage around 10:00 a.m..

Take care and have a "muito bom" cruise with nao problema.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Boa Tarde Mike,

"Muita obrigada" for your response. I know that it's impossible to even begin to appreciate Rio in a day and a half. I'm hoping this little taste and our cruise will whet DH's appetite for exploring more of South America in depth. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to live in Brazil for three years, but with two young (at the time ) children, I couldn't do much "adventure touring."

Wishing you and yours a happy Holiday season.

Janie

Sailing on Star Princess 12/22/08
Hablo espanol/Falo portugues