Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Familiar Face

Default Waiting until the last minute to book??

Hello, I'm trying to convince my wife to book another cruise. We've been on 3 in the past 18 months. Our last cruise was May of this year and now she says that we should wait until 2010 to go on the RCI Oasis of the Seas. I, on the other hand want to go on another in May of 09, then go on the Oasis in May of 2010. Now what's wrong with that right?? lol. I think she'll give in if we can find a great deal. So my question is this.. When is the best time to get the cheapest deals? We usually book 6-9 months in advance but I was wondering if we waited until a month before the cruise leaves we could get a better deal? Is this true or is there a better way? Thanks,

the Cruise Addict

Carnival Destiny 2005
Carnival Miracle 2006
Carnival Victory 2007
RCI Liberty of the Seas 2008
RCI Allure of the Seas 2012

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Waiting until the last minute to book??

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr104
Hello, I'm trying to convince my wife to book another cruise. We've been on 3 in the past 18 months. Our last cruise was May of this year and now she says that we should wait until 2010 to go on the RCI Oasis of the Seas. I, on the other hand want to go on another in May of 09, then go on the Oasis in May of 2010. Now what's wrong with that right?? lol. I think she'll give in if we can find a great deal. So my question is this.. When is the best time to get the cheapest deals? We usually book 6-9 months in advance but I was wondering if we waited until a month before the cruise leaves we could get a better deal? Is this true or is there a better way? Thanks,

the Cruise Addict
Better deals during Hurricane season in September, October, and November. Also good deals in Feburary and April. Not during spring break of Christmas. Yes you get better deals up close, however, if you hold of final payment and watch the cruise price if the price goes down some cruiselines will adjust the price down for you. I think Royal does this even if the final payment is made (but I'm not certain).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Right now the best deals are close-in, anything under 60 days. There are fantastic deals out there - just look at some of these ADS!!! NCL for $249.

Seriously, look up above click on Cruise Bargains in the Blue Menu Bar, and click on "best of CruiseMates, Best of the Web" or Weekly Newsletter"

All of them have smoking bargains - or go to our bargains area here in CM - you will see great last minute deals.

FYI: Oasis is still priced pretty high; minimum $949 pp inside. You can find a lot cheaper cruises out there now. That ship is almost all balconies, so that is part of the reason.

Will Oasis get cheaper? depends on the economy. But I would only book it now if you KNOW you want to go early on, say in January 2010. In a few months (end of March) we should have a better idea of where Oasis prices are heading.

You can get Freedom, Liberty or a Voyager class starting at $499 right now, and Carnival for $349 - all for 7-day cruises. This is a great time for last-minute bargains, and fyi - usually booking early is the best way to go, but not in our current economic climate.
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the deals you mentioned Paul. As for the Oasis, we always book balconies (our honeymoon suite ruined us ) So we expect to pay more anyways. Like I said we're thinking May so I guess I'll wait until we get closer.

One more question? Do you think balcony rooms are usually available as you get closer to cruise time? or do they usually fill up first? thanks again.

Carnival Destiny 2005
Carnival Miracle 2006
Carnival Victory 2007

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the deals you mentioned Paul. As for the Oasis, we always book balconies (our honeymoon suite ruined us ) So we expect to pay more anyways. Like I said we're thinking May so I guess I'll wait until we get closer.

One more question? Do you think balcony rooms are usually available as you get closer to cruise time? or do they usually fill up first? thanks again.
If you book less than a month or less in advance you may have less of a chance of finding a balcony, especially on longer cruises and those during popular times such as Holidays and Spring Break. Otherwise the chances are quite good that you can get a balcony.

Just remember that you will probably be required to book a guarantee cabin and not able to select a particular cabin the closer you are to sailing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Cruiee emails for deals this monthe were so outstanding, we tried to book a cruise.....All the ones I were interested in, were gone Gotta be quick, or have a relationship with your ta, who will give you a call when they see a deal.

I am going to watch and see what happens this time next year, if the economy doesn't perk up......the deals were so amazing, they could make you cry

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 27th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Balconies DO fill up first. The last minute leftovers are inside cabins and top end suites.

However, the newer ships like Solstice and Oasis are 85% balcony cabins. I suggest you book the lower category balcony cabins because the higher price differential does not give you a vastly different layout. They are all the same size & configuration even though there are some 7 categories.

If you look at our Solstice cruise right now (Nov 30) there are cabins left, but just insides and mega-suites. That means it is 90% full, at least, and the last-minute prices are far higher than what we sold our balconies for.

We sold a balcony cabin for $749 with an onboard credit $100. They are now selling insides for $749, no credit. We had a SWEET DEAL with this Solstice group. We are hoping we can get such a deal with Oasis, but its not quite so easy.
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks. Well it seems just like anything else I'll have to shop around and see what I can get. Thanks again everyone.

Carnival Destiny 2005
Carnival Miracle 2006
Carnival Victory 2007

Old November 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

The only problem on waiting last minute to book a cruise is it is harder to find balcony rooms. Balcony rooms are usually the first to sell out. Also the next to sell out is usually ocean view rooms becuase on most ships there arn't very many. But if you were looking at an interior room and booking last minute that probably wouldn't be a problem.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks. Well it seems just like anything else I'll have to shop around and see what I can get. Thanks again everyone.
If you're not picky about cabin type and/or location, you should be able to do quite well in this particular economy. Lots of ships are sailing with at least a few empty cabins, so I would imagine you could get quite a steal if you are willing to book very close to sailing date.

It is in times such as these that I wish I were a "senior" leaving near Fort Lauderdale. Many of them are on various cruise lines' "last minute" lists for great deals on last minute sailings. From what I understand, they always have their cruise bags packed and then just throw them in the car and drive to the pier. They get, from what I understand, some amazing deals that way ... less than half of what the rest of us pay.

So, if you have the flexibility in your travel planning, and can get to the embarkation pier without flying, I say book your cruise the week before it leaves, and you should find some killer deals.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Another last-minute issue is airfare. Booking a flight within 2 months of your cruise can make the air considerbly higher.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Another last-minute issue is airfare. Booking a flight within 2 months of your cruise can make the air considerbly higher.
That's why the "seniors" living in Florida make out so well. They don't need to fly to the pier. And, in some cases, like where a TA is able to grab a chunk of group space on the sailing, often she can cut a deal with HAL where HAL springs for a couple of motor coaches to drive everyone to the pier ... generally gratis.

I saw that exact thing happen with a Panama Canal cruise I took in fall of '07. There were a lot of empty cabins on that sailing, and I remember seeing them online one day, and then like overnight the sailing was 100% booked. I couldn't figure out why. But when the passengers embarked in Fort Lauderdale (I had gotten on in New York) there were all these people wearing a travel agent's logo teeshirt with the itinerary of our cruise printed on the back. I saw dozens of these and finally I asked someone about it. He told me that they only booked the cruise less than two weeks before when their travel agent called them with a great offer. Seems they all live in a Leisuretown type of development, and she put together a whole group of them at the last minute for this sailing. Since their development was about four hours from Fort Lauderdale, the TA got HAL to throw in some buses to drive everyone to and from Fort Lauderdale, and she got her tee-shirt printer to do a rush order. Hence, the ship sold out. HAL was happy, the TA was happy, and all these "seniors" got a killer deal on a great cruise. They were paying only about half of what I did.

God, to be older and retired ... it sure does have its advantages.

Blue skies ...

--rita