Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Passenger

Default Port calls on Christmas Day

Hello cruisers,

I may have posted this question before, but I didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try again.

We'll be sailing on Star Princess from Rio on 12/22/08. Our first port call is in Montevideo on Christmas Day. Princess is offering shore excursions on that day, but I'm wondering if they would be worthwhile, or whether everything would be closed, and we'll be wandering around an empty city with nothing much to do except take pictures of buildings and such.

One excursion being offered is to Punta del Este. I was looking at that one as I thought we'd at least get to see a little more of Uruguay, and that perhaps as it's a resort-type city some shops/restaurants/attractions might be open.

Does anyone with experience with Princess shore excursions, holday travel, and/or Montevideo and Punta del Este have any advice to offer? Would it be more fun just to stay on board and enjoy the festivities there?

Thanks, and happy Holidays to all.

Sailing on Star Princess 12/22/08
Hablo espanol/Falo portugues
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While I cannot speak specifically to your ports, we were once in Guadaloupe, on Easter Monday, and everything was closed. No one on the ship was told about the island being basically closed. I guess as to not have the excursion desk overwhelmed, and run out of tours.

We got off the ship early and got one of the few cabs, and did a great island tour...If your ship is offering tours I would grab one, since I could not imagine being where you will be, and staying onboard.

Since this is a religeous holiday, I really do, think most of the port will be closed. BUT, as we found out in St Thomas one year, store owners who were not Christian, did open till noon...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Admiral

You really can't tell until you get to the port...

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In a heavily catholic country on Christmas Day I can imagine things will be shut down pretty tight.

I've been in several ports Christmas Day... though not in SA., and not many shops were open. Even on a non holiday Sunday, I remember a visit to Cartegna, Columbia where aside from some museums, most everything was closed.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Port calls on Christmas Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestra
Hello cruisers,

I may have posted this question before, but I didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try again.

We'll be sailing on Star Princess from Rio on 12/22/08. Our first port call is in Montevideo on Christmas Day. Princess is offering shore excursions on that day, but I'm wondering if they would be worthwhile, or whether everything would be closed, and we'll be wandering around an empty city with nothing much to do except take pictures of buildings and such.

One excursion being offered is to Punta del Este. I was looking at that one as I thought we'd at least get to see a little more of Uruguay, and that perhaps as it's a resort-type city some shops/restaurants/attractions might be open.

Does anyone with experience with Princess shore excursions, holiday travel, and/or Montevideo and Punta del Este have any advice to offer? Would it be more fun just to stay on board and enjoy the festivities there?

Thanks, and happy Holidays to all.
In Montevideo I would not believe there would be much open on Christmas Day. If an excursion to Punta Del Este is offered I would take it. It is a beautiful area with nice beaches and a scenic ride to get there. However, don't count on doing a lot of shopping.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Passenger

Thank you to all for your replies. It sounds like the best plan will be to take the excursion to Punta del Este and at least do a little sightseeing. Maybe some "beautiful people" will be getting some sun, and I'll at least be able to say I was on the same beach as somebody famous.

I hope I'll at least be able to see the Casa Pueblo and some of the other interesting architecture from the outside. Fortunately, I'm not that into shopping, so I won't miss that part too much.

Thanks again. I hope to meet some of you in person someday.

Janie

Sailing on Star Princess 12/22/08
Hablo espanol/Falo portugues