Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to 40nluvnit
Default right in the middle - age appropriate cruising

I have a couple of questions: are there cruiselines that are known for certain things - like i'm in my 40's and we like to cruise, for sure in March, which is spring break for many young people. We don't want to be the oldies on the young people's cruise, or the younger folks on the older folks cruise. We want a fun, party, cruise for middle agers. Where do I look? Second to that is my best friend is single - how do we find activities for her to meet single guys on the ship?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Admiral

During spring break, it will be hard to find any cruise that does not have quite a few young people on it. Unless you go very high end. But, there will still be plenty of others in your age group. Average age on Carnival, for example is around 45, if I remember right.
The first night, there will be a singles mixer. Somtimes, there are 2, one for the young-uns and one for mature people. Your friend should definitely check those out, since it is where singles tend to identify each other. You can also go to the maitre d' as soon as you board and ask to be seated wiith others traveling solo.
I cruised a lot when single (and after I wasn't!) and cruises are about the easiest way to meet other singles. You meet someone you might be interested in and you don't have to plan a "date". you can just agree to meet for an activity or a cup of coffee on the ship. If it doesn't work out, the ships are definitely big enough to avoid each other.....I know this for sure.
Have fun, whatever you choose.
Marty
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I think of it as a matter of how young you feel. If you feel 40, then you're 40, If you feel like your in your early 20's, then all is well!!!!!

There will be a lot of university and high school students on ther ships at spring break, but there will also be a mix of people from all ages.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

40 and feel even younger? I would probably recommend Carnival - also remember the length of the cruise also determines the average age. A 3 or 4-day cruise will have lots of younger people - many of them single. A 7-day cruise will have more couples and families.

Avoid any 10-day cruise on Holland America, and most other lines as well. They generally get almost all retirees.

Me? I'm at that age where retirees don't even look that old to me anymore. The only ones who look old are the ones using walkers or wearing cardigans by the pool.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Admiral

I would choose Carnival too. That atmosphere of their ships are great. Like someone else said Carnival has a young middle age 45.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would look into Royal Caribbean as well as Carnival or even Princess. Any of them should have a good deal of singles for your friend too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Admiral

for our age group (mid 40's and staying there!!); Carnival and Royal Carribbean are appropriate - just keep in mind, the short cruises on all the lines will be a party during spring break; if possible try to hit the week before and the week after; however, Spring break in Florida seems to be the whole month of March; and then the last week of May is a party time to cruise as well and IMHO is worse than spring break.
I like cruising end of Feb and have never had a bad time.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Avoid any 10-day cruise on Holland America, and most other lines as well. They generally get almost all retirees.

Me? I'm at that age where retirees don't even look that old to me anymore. The only ones who look old are the ones using walkers or wearing cardigans by the pool.
... let me tell you something, Paul. I took a 35-day cruise on Holland America, and some of those retirees could give me a run for my money. Many of them were more energetic than me!

I don't think you can necessarily characterize Holland America as being the cruise line strictly for old people ... on that 35-dayer we had a lot of "younger" than the Holland America "norm" cruisers. The line does a lot of sailings that other lines don't get involved in ... exotic itineraries ... that while you won't necessarily get a lot of 20-somethings onboard, you will get some of the younger set ... 40's, 50's ... taking them.

We had a lot of pretty active shore excursions on this trip, and Holland America had no problem in booking them up, so I think that says something for the passenger mix, even on the longer cruises. I think HAL gets a bum rap on passenger age because of the fact that the ship doesn't normally rock and roll until the wee hours of the morning on these longer sailings. But I think that's more related to the fact that HAL's itineraries tend to be more interesting and the people who take those sailings are port-focused. They tend to be early risers and generally by midnight will be back in their cabins ... and even earlier on the eve of a port day. But, believe me, many of those HAL cruisers are out to have a good time too, and you will see them in the show lounges, the bars, up in the Crow's Nest for karoke or special galas too.

I spent 35 days on the Statendam and I can honestly say that I had no lack of options for an interesting nightlife ... it's just that often by 10:00 p.m. or so, that comfortable cabin seemed so much more attractive. But you can be sure there were plenty of others who were still in the bars and lounges having a grand old time, and those venues normally didn't close down before midnight ... some later if there were still people wanting to "party."

Interestingly enough, I was going to advise the OP to look into a Holland America cruise if he has to cruise during spring break and doesn't want to be with a bunch of kids on the boat. Holland America, a ten-day or longer sailing, might be just the ticket.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Beginner

Default oldies on HAL

I am taking my two kids 11 & 9 on the Zuiderdam on 29/03 for ten day Panama cruise. Loved the idea of the itinerary, freshwater pools and large cabin - also didn't want to be surrounded by hundreds of kids (as we have experienced on RCL in the past). However, would like a mix of ages - still like to party as we are only in our late thirties and also need just a few of friends for the kids to play with! Should I change Cruises??? help appreciated!
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Admiral

you will find an ecclectic mix of people on just about any line.
3-5 day cruises tend to have more younger, single and young families.
10+ day cruises tend to attract an older crowd
There will be more families with kids on board during spring break-this seems true when it comes to Royal Caribbean and Carnival
Some lines like Princess do limit the number of kids allowed per voyage
I would look into Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Its almost impossible to compare line to line like comparing apples to oranges.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Honestly, my gut says....if you can get similiar costs & cabins on another line, I would say go for it. I was on the "Z" once in Nov, and there were hardly any kids at all....timing is always the thing though, for kids sailing, but, I think minimal would be the word, on a 10 dayer.

Think how your cruise will be impacted if your kids are struggling to find things to do, and kids to do it with

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I spent 35 days on the Statendam and I can honestly say that I had no lack of options for an interesting nightlife ... it's just that often by 10:00 p.m. or so, that comfortable cabin seemed so much more attractive.
--rita
See????!!!! Old age is contagious!!!!!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004