Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Default gangplank or gangway???

now this is a silly question coming from a guy who has cruised over 25 times. i always refer to the opening in the side of the ship where one embarks and debarks, as well as the ramp itself, as the "gangway". in the ship's daily schedule, at least on hal, it specifies a time when the gangway will be raised. but, some refer to it as the 'gangplank' -- sounds like something out of an old pirate movie to me. i would never ask someone to meet me at the gangplank. maybe the opening is the gangway and the ramp is the gangplank. picky, i know, but this is 'ask cruisemates'. thanks for a reply.
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Admiral

You have been correct; it is the gangway.

The people who call it a "gangplank" also call the dining room the "dinning room." As people don't like to correct others out of courtesy, many keep repeating their errors.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

gang┬Ěplank (gngplngk)
n.
A board or ramp used as a removable footway between a ship and a pier. Also called gangway.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
gang┬Ěplank (gngplngk)
n.
A board or ramp used as a removable footway between a ship and a pier. Also called gangway.
Snoozer, thanks!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Is is a gangway, I walk the gangways to get on and off. I do not walk the gangplank, all that I ever heard or seen on TV you walk the gangplank to get off in the middle of the sea with no way to get back on.
So it is a gangway.
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Admiral

# Gangplank - A board with cleats, forming a bridge reaching from a gangway of a vessel to the wharf.
# Gangway - A narrow portable platform used as a passage, by persons entering or leaving a vessel moored alongside a pier.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
# Gangplank - A board with cleats, forming a bridge reaching from a gangway of a vessel to the wharf.
# Gangway - A narrow portable platform used as a passage, by persons entering or leaving a vessel moored alongside a pier.
So the "Gangplank" is the basis or the heart of the "Gangway"?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard
Quote:
So the "Gangplank" is the basis or the heart of the "Gangway"?
That's how I interpret it. One nautical dictionary said the gangway was the opening on the side of the ship used to embark & debark, the gangway would be be from there to dock.

I think the entire area has been shortened to gangway; however, when the crew is stowing away I bet they call the ramp a gangplank and not a gangway. ie. 'Help me lift the gangplank'.

Future Cruises:
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
First Mate

thanks, folks. i'll stick with 'gangway' for the whole thing.
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Gangway is always the proper term to use on a cruise ship. Its a modern conveyance with rails, and sometimes is fully covered, as in an airport where they also use gangways to get people off the plane.

A gangplank is a board - usually with no rail, and "cleats" to provide traction. The word is archaic and comes from the days when that was all you used to board a wooden boat or ship. You walked the gangplank into the sea, with a sword poking you in the back and your hands tied behind you.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Wow Paul,
I knew that you know a lot, but it's a little scarey how much detailed knowledge you have about the use of a gangplank in the good old days!

Marty
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Must be my past life