Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Passenger

Default Family cruise...grandparents, teens, parents..HELP!

We are considering a cruise this summer with parents, grandparents, and teens. Looking to go for 5 nights to the Western Carribean. Would a cabin for 10 be less expensive? Looking to get the best cruise and stay in a budget. Is air fare included in some prices, or is it best to book on your own? Any tips or suggestions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Most of the time, those "family" suites are booked up well in advance. Be sure to check if any are available and go from there. You may just have to get multiple cabins depending on whats available.

There are many friendly family ships out there. Are you looking at a specific ship or cruiseline?? Be sure to look at both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. You may also want to think about a 7 day cruise instead of 5?? There would be more choices then...

As for airfare, usually better to just book that on your own, less expensive and you can pick your airline/flights, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Passenger

I did a cruise with 22 members of my family. I agree with Donna, I think Carnival or RCCL are probably your best bets because they have activities that would appeal to wide age ranges. We did the Carnival Miracle 7 nights and everyone loved it (from ages 6 -75) but I have also been on RCCL ships that were great too. As far as suites, the maximum people that can stay in a suite on Carnival is either 4 or 5. On RCCL they have Royal Family Suites that hold up to 8 but they are usually extremely expensive and I think 8 people in there would be tight. I have some pictures of one if you would like to see them. Honestly it is much cheaper to book multiple insides or oceanviews for 2 or 4. On airfare, I booked group air through Delta as we were all flying out of the same place. Group air is nice because you only have to deposit at tme of booking, no names required or payment til 30 days out. Hope this helps a little.
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Admiral

i am not even sure if the family staterooms can accomodate 10, check that one out. Very important point to consider is that the family staterooms only have one bathroom!
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Getting adjacent cabins with the door between them would be a good idea if available. 3 cabins would do the trick with a triple or a quad in one of them....If a family suite is within the budget, check that out, but, do all of this quickly!

Always best to book your own air, jmho.....the cruise lines will sometimes book you through through Paris to get to Florida

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The Royal Caribbean Freedom class has a family suite that will sleep 11, I believe, at least 10 anyway.

However - this is EXTREMELY RARE in the cruise world, just as it would be in a hotel. Most cabins hold 4 at the most. Even most family suites rarely sleep more that 6 tops.

I don't think they are any cheaper but the truth is the cruise lines work that our - they don't advertise the prices on thoses suites for multiple people. No one, incluing most agents I know, actually knows how much a fully filled family suite on Freedom costs.

Sometimes I think the cruise lines just make up prices as they go for these multi-bed suites.
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Family cruise...grandparents, teens, parents..HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSmom
We are considering a cruise this summer with parents, grandparents, and teens. Looking to go for 5 nights to the Western Carribean. Would a cabin for 10 be less expensive? Looking to get the best cruise and stay in a budget. Is air fare included in some prices, or is it best to book on your own? Any tips or suggestions appreciated!
You won't be able to find a cabin that sleeps 10 on a Fantasy class ship. The best you can do on a Fantasy class ship would be to get 2 Penthouse Suites because a Penthouse suite sleeps 5. Or it might even be cheaper just to get 3-4 ocean view rooms.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Admiral

To add one more thing. If you get two penthouse suites you will only get 2 bathrooms. So that might be a problem with 10 people. If you get 3-4 ocean view rooms, you will get 3-4 bathrooms, so that might be a better decision.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Family cruises are great! I would vote for multiple cabins as well. Having your own space helps to keep everyone 'happy'. You might choose a balcony cabin or two, with some nearby inside cabins for the teens.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?