Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Default Inside vs Ocean View

My daughter booked us on a 7 night Mexico cruise for next Christmas. She has a balcony suite and booked us an inside stateroom right accross the hall fro her room which is a balcony suite. My wife is a little skittish about an inside stateroom. We have been on one cruise and had a port hole. Is there anything to be concerned about? If we upgrade to a balcony room we will not be guaranteed to be near our daughter's room. I have no issues with an inside room as long as it is large enough. What are your thoughts on an inside cabin.
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Generally there is nothing wrong with an inside cabin. Many people prefer to get cheaper inside cabins and cruise more often with the money they save.

Many years ago I took three cruises in inside, windowless cabins. The cabins were nice but without a window or porthole I had wished I brought a clock. It drove my crazy not knowing if it was morning and time to get up or if I should roll back over and keep sleeping. These days I will not cruise without a big fat balcony. I am on the balcony almost every daylight hour taking photos or just watching the water go by.

If you spend much of your time doing the onboard activities (seminars, bingo, shows...) or if you simply like to stay inside with the air conditioning then a balcony may be just wasted money.

Personally I'd give your daughter a hard time for not putting you up in a suite. Shouldn't the parents get a better room than the kids?
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This is really a hard question to answer. It depends on how you handle a room without a window.

As Pilotdane said, if you are not in the cabin too much then it may be fine.

I have always found that people spend more time in the cabin then they think they do. Dressing, sleeping, resting and preparing for the day all take time.

I did an inside cabin once,,,,,,,,,once. I found it is not for me. It was a fourteen day cruise and I had "inside cabin psychosis" after four days.

If it was me I would do an outside or balcony. YMMV

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Familiar Face

Hi! We are in our 60's and have done many cruises from 7-16 days. A couple of times, we had a window. All the rest were insides.

I agree with you. The size of the cabin is important. Some ships have larger insides than others.

We never "hang out" in the cabin. There are so many areas around the ship, inside and outside, to relax. I feel no need for the balcony. It would add a few thousand dollars to a long cruise and I feel the money could be put to better use. And just my luck, I would get a balcony next to a smoker!
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I too, had an inside only once......I want the natural light, and love to watch as we are pulling into and out of the port, if we are in the cabin.....Calling now to see if there is a cabin close by your daughter, would be the thing to do. And if you are a few cabins away, or on the other side, is really not a big issue, is it? Good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Admiral

I'm fine with inside or outside. Yes, it is nice to be able to look out the porthole, but I would rather be able to not worry about the cost. The way the economy is right now, I'll book that inside for the foreseeable future and be very grateful to be able to cruise at all.
I think that, in your case, a lot depends on who is paying for your cabin. No, parents aren't automatically entitled to the better cabin as someone else suggested. But, if you are paying, then it depends on whether you want to be close to your daughter's cabin and whether or not they even have an outside nearby. What ever happens, have fun!
Marty
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Familiar Face

I have had both an inside and outside cabin (not balcony-just window) I prefer the window because one of my favorite pastimes is to sit and watch the water go by.....that said remember there are plenty of oportunities to do that from other areas of the ship. If it is only a 8 day cruise it wouldn't be too big of a deal. A longer cruise and I would most likely miss my window.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
First Mate

We purchase a balcony room most of the time but once we had an inside cabin for a four day cruise. It wasn't long ago. I was wondering if it would be ok, but the price was right and I decided to go for it. Although it was small, we were fine with it and it didn't bother me at all. I'd be hesitant about booking one for a week only because I really like the balconies. It's really no big deal. I'd book one again if necessary. It's actually quite cozy for two.
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

If financially it doesn't impact you, opt for the balcony/oceanview. Unless you are a true deck-head and enjoy a 7:00 dining room breakfast after roaming the ship at 4:00 swearing that one of the bars is 24/7, than an inside room really doesn't matter.

Whichever you decide to book, keep an eye on online prices. If they drop, call the loyalty line and get the diff. refunded. It's happened on all but one of mine.
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, on most ships, the inside and outside cabins are actually the same size. Even the balcony cabin we had on our last cruise was the same except for the balcony itself.
Marty