Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Stolen passport (and purse....)

I need to know if Canadians out there know of what happens when a Canadian passport is stolen.

I went to the groceries store and while packing the groceries into the backseat of the truck my purse was stolen from the cart! No one was around except for a truck that stopped a short distance away for a very brief 30 seconds or less and then left slowly--it was icy..). Needless to say everything that had to cancelled was, but it is a pain in the butt to replace items like birth certificate, social insurance number, health care card, and Blue Cross card as well as the personal items that were in my purse/wallet.

I have to wonder what the procedure is to replace a stolen passport as I only have 84 days before I leave for my next cruise. I plan on getting the ID replaced (if they don't find my purse) on Friday, but my passport has be be priority as it close to sail date.....

I can go to Jamaica or Mexico, or some of these dirt poor countries and NOT have any problems, but come home and get my valuables stolen!!!! That burns my butt!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Oh, I feel for you, that sure stinks....I hope you are able to get your passport asap..go the expedited route to be on the safe side.

I guess the lesson to be learned by all of us, is get the handbag in the car first..then the grocery bags....good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I was able to get my passport re-newed last year, took under 2 weeks, so you should be OK...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I was able to get my passport re-newed last year, took under 2 weeks, so you should be OK...
Donna, I didn't know that you had a Canadian passport?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Admiral

I was victimized by some VERY STUPID criminals! When I say VERY STUPID, I truly mean it.

My purse was recovered, along with another woman'
s purse, from a stolen truck. The truck was stolen from another town under RCMP jurisdiction. I got called at 11:30 last night that it was found in a stolen vehicle. I couldn't help them with descriptions cuz I didn't see anyone, just that it was a truck....

The only items missing from my purse are my change urse with $30-35 cash/coin, a Maui Jim sunglass case, and a cleaning cloth. They did not bother to take the credit card, bank cards, MY MP3 PLAYER!!! Yes, my MP3 player was NOT taken. This is why I say a it was a VERY STUPID crook!!! Hello, $100 MP3 player and they didn't take it....All of My ID is there, so I am very grateful for that. I have now removed it and will keep it at home and only have my old/cancelled passport in my wallet.

I am a happy camper now that I do not have to go through the process of getting new ID and passport!!!

PHEW, I was lucky to be robbed by a STUPID thief!!!!!!

SHeesh, STUPID is not the word--MORONIC IDITOTIC, BRAIN-DEAD are bette words to use!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

Old January 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Admiral

I'm happy to hear that the thieves were stupid. Sometimes, that is good news, eh? Question...why do you carry a passport at home? Just curious.
Marty
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just curious as to why you would carry a passport all the time?

Agreed, your thieves need "robbing for dummies"...yayayay for you!!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Great, a happy ending..... Sorry, forgot Angel was in Canada, but I would think, if she had to get a replacement passport that it wouldn't take that long. I would leave the passport at home in a safe place until you have to travel :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Captain

Just in case this helps someone else...

In Canada when you lose your passport or it is stolen you must file a police report and report it to Passport Canada. Before you will be able to obtain a new passport you will be required to have a special form completed and notorized. They will place a stamp in the front of your new passport stating that you reported the previous passport lost or stolen and they will record the old passport number. In addition if you passport is recovered at any point in time after having been lost or stolen you must report this to Passport Canada.

We know this situation well, three years ago someone left our flight with my carryon bag while I was attending to my youngest daughter. Passports, cash, the works, all gone, never to be seen again. Now, those documents are as close to me as the clothes that I am wearing when we travel. When we are home they are locked up safe. Oh, and one other quick note, it took four weeks to receive the replacements, but only 5 days to receive my husbands renewal so they must really put it through the works.
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Admiral

I do not possess a drivers license and my passport was my only official ID. I have stached my ID and passport away and carry my old expire passport as ID. I get asked for ID many times when I use my credit card. Several stores here automatically check ID when using a credit card and Walmart seems to want to check my ID 75% of the time, even if my purchase is only $15!!!!!

UGH, I would be lost if my carry on was stolen. That would be crushing as my carry-on bag is where I keep all that information as I ditch my purse and just go with my beach bag and standard carry on!

"Robbery for dummies" is a book that they failed to read.....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

Old January 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

hey not Canadian; but I found this online:

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/tra...stpassport.htm