Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Beginner

Default Need advice on Alaska cruise for US permenant residence

I am an US permanent residence (Has Green card) and have NO old country passport and no way to get it. I am planning to take a 7 days Alaska cruise, round trip from Seattle on July 2009. I called several cruiseship company, travel agency and got difference answer:

- They do not know
- I can not go if I do not have passport
- I will be deny boarding ship
- Cruiseship sails a long Canada so I must have a passport
- Another cruiseship agent: if cruise originate and return same port in US then a US permenant resident no need passport.

Please, advice. Can I go or not? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Vt,
Isn't one of your ports a Canada port? If so, I would think you'd need a passport. Good idea to check with the US passport agency and find out for sure, let them know if you have a stop outside the US. I went on a cruise last year to Alaska starting and ending in Seattle and needed one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
First Mate

Hi!
Starting on June 1st,2009 everyone going on a cruise or taking a flight
or crossing the boarder by bus or car must have a passport.This official document is for 10 years,why do you hesitate to get it.
Have a nice cruise.

MTL
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

You will have to get a hold of the nearest consulate or the embassy to find out how to get a passport issued. You should always have a valid passport especially if you will be travelling out of your homeland or country where you live. My cousin lives in Australia and she has to renew her passport even though she holds an Australian passport, she needs her Canadian passport. She is able to do that at the Embassy in Sydney.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Passenger

The original poster already said that:
1. They don't have a passport.
2. They are unable to get a passport.
There are a number of ways that situation could occur-- for example, if the person is a political refugee who had to flee their country of origin. Not everyone can get a passport by simply applying at their consulate or embassy!

The original poster also said that they are a permanent resident-- not a U.S. citizen. Permanent residents are not eligible to get a U.S. passport.

vt399, this is a question that you really will need to ask your cruise ship company. To avoid the problem of getting different answers from different people, you may want to ask them in writing, so you can get a definitive answer in writing.

Now, there's something called a "reentry permit" or "travel document" (PDF format) for permanent residents. It's somewhat expensive, $305 plus a $80 biometric fee, and it expires in two years. However, it sounds as if it might be the type of document required in this situation:
Quote:
You may also want to get a reentry permit if you plan on traveling outside the United States and cannot or do not wish to get a passport from your home country. Many countries throughout the world may allow you to use a reentry permit much like you would use a passport—placing necessary visas and entry and exit stamps in the permit—so you may use it as your main travel document. Be sure to check with any country you plan to visit about specific requirements before you travel.
However, it is unclear whether cruise lines will accept the travel document in lieu of a passport. Again, you'll probably want to check directly with your cruise line.

Edit: added:

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. However, from what I've been able to determine via searching government sites, it appears that lawful permanent residents of the U.S. can enter the U.S. using only their Permanent Resident Card ("green card"). It also appears that lawful permanent residents of the U.S. can also enter Canada using only their green card. But, I'm not sure if my interpretation of the rules is correct. And, again cruise lines might set their own rules regarding what documents are required.

Edit: grammar: a the -> the
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Visitor B gave you the best advice. Verify what documentation you need with at least a supervisory person at the cruiseline.

You have a very unique situation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me