Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Familiar Face

Default Caribbean Cruising Aug-Oct

We have been on many cruises to the carribbean but next year we would like to take cruise out of main season. Firstly when are winter 2010 cruises released and secondly which of these months would be best, and lastly do we get sun as well as rain! and which is best for this season east or west?
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Aug-Oct is off-season cruising in the Caribbean because that is hurricane season. If i had to pick a month i would go with October, it probably won't be as hot and muggy, but you still run the risk of running into a hurricane, a southern route would be the best choice
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You should be able to look at winter 2010 now, I would speculate....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Even during peak hurrican season, the odds of actually being involved in one are very, very small. And, it does not rain all the time. In fact, all of those upper level winds bring storms in fast, but they leave fast as well. I have been driving down the road (I live in Florida) with heavy rain hitting the back of the car and bright sunshine in front. Then, it is just blown away. You will have some rain, but no one knows when!
Marty
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Even during peak hurrican season, the odds of actually being involved in one are very, very small. And, it does not rain all the time. In fact, all of those upper level winds bring storms in fast, but they leave fast as well. I have been driving down the road (I live in Florida) with heavy rain hitting the back of the car and bright sunshine in front. Then, it is just blown away. You will have some rain, but no one knows when!
Marty
You're right. The odds of being in a hurricane are small ... and with cruising, even if you are, the captain just takes the boat elsewhere. Like maybe you were supposed to do an Eastern Caribbean, and now you've got a Western. It's really no big deal.

What you could have, though, is a situation where a lot of the island's water activities are cancelled on the day you are in port ... leaving you with very little to do on the island, other than walking around and shopping.

I was involved in a "hurricane sailing" back in August of 2004 ... one of Holland America's last summer Caribbean sailings. It was a back to back, Eastern and Western Caribbean, and I think of all the shore tours I was supposed to do, maybe about two of them actually took place. The others were all water activities and were cancelled. Even if the hurricane is not giving an island a direct hit, often the sea will be affected, churning up the currents and whatnot, so water activities won't be doable.

The other problem was that Port Everglades got shut down and the cruise had to be extended for 2.5 days. Now that sounds nice, but we really couldn't stop anywhere so basically the captain just sailed around with the passengers having to entertain themselves onboard the ship. The cruise director and his staff were going nuts trying to figure out activities to keep us busy ... scheduling extra shows by getting the entertainers to do them. The problem is that a ship doing strictly Caribbean runs is not set up for long stretches of time at sea. There simply just isn't enough for the passengers to do. I think we had something like five sea days in a row and many of the passengers were going bonkers.

Of course, people like me didn't have many problems. I love sea days and can easily fill them with stuff like reading, watching movies, relaxing on deck, etc. But there were a lot of people onboard who couldn't wait to get back to Fort Lauderdale. I talked to several first time cruisers while onboard ... heck I was only a "second timer" myself ... and just about everyone of them said "never again." They tried cruising and they definitely didn't like it. Sad, because they really didn't give the experience a fair chance ... a hurricane cruise is not what cruising is all about.

So, yes, a cruise during hurricane season is definitely doable, but just be aware that it's a numbers game. You can have an absolutely perfect sailing ... and get a great price on it to boot ... but then you could also wind up with a "budget vacation" where you really can't do everything that was meant to be done when visiting the Caribbean.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Excursions cancellations can happen any time of year. Have had that happen in early spring. It it more likely during hurricane season, but people should be prepared to go with the flow...so to speak. I have also had a cruise extended due to a home port closing for a hurricane, but I, too, loved it. Might be different if I was still able to work, but I can't think of a better excuse than "I'm stuck at sea because of a hurricane."
Marty
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Captain

Why not lower the odds further?

If you go in November or early December you'll still get off season pricing warm weather and no huricanes? I have done this a few times.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
Aug-Oct is off-season cruising in the Caribbean because that is hurricane season. If i had to pick a month i would go with October, it probably won't be as hot and muggy, but you still run the risk of running into a hurricane, a southern route would be the best choice
In the tropics, differences in heat/humidity in August vs October (or ANY month for that matter) vary so little that it's not even worth taking this into consideration when booking. The only thing I'd base it on would be the likelihood of a hurricane. To that point, I would agree with you that October is probably the best bet if August thru October are the months being considered.
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Joe,
I live in Florida, so hurricanes are just a fact of life. There is potential for natural disasters pretty much anywhere and we rarely get hit. But, the safest place to be around a hurricane is on a cruise ship.
I know that this does not apply to most people, but I also know that the odds are SO small that reducing them to zero means very little. We cruise whenever.
Marty