Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Beginner

Default drink prices , luggage, help!

i am leaving next sat for my first cruise. I have never had much luck with luggage via plane but did not purchase the insurance.. can they really lose it? why cant i just carry my 1 suitcase to my own room instead of trying to pack 2 different bags .. i can never decide what to wear anyways.. i need it ALL! and also can anyone give ma an idea of drink prices on board?(recent) i found a few things on internet but nothing up to date.. they seemed reasonable, has it changed? can you buy your own at the duty free? and how easy is it to bring your own.. do they check purses for liquids? yes i am trying to drink a lot for a little! on a student budget! any help or suggestions are appreciated. are they rthe same price everywhere on boat or different at each bar?(not an alchoholic i swear!)
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: drink prices , luggage, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookincream
i am leaving next sat for my first cruise. I have never had much luck with luggage via plane but did not purchase the insurance.. can they really lose it? why cant i just carry my 1 suitcase to my own room instead of trying to pack 2 different bags .. i can never decide what to wear anyways.. i need it ALL! and also can anyone give ma an idea of drink prices on board?(recent) i found a few things on internet but nothing up to date.. they seemed reasonable, has it changed? can you buy your own at the duty free? and how easy is it to bring your own.. do they check purses for liquids? yes i am trying to drink a lot for a little! on a student budget! any help or suggestions are appreciated. are they the same price everywhere on boat or different at each bar?(not an alcoholic i swear!)
In regards to the cruise ship losing your luggage: That is highly unlikely but the airlines do lose luggage. If you have connections then the possibility of lost luggage increases. You will not be able to take your luggage onboard, at check-in, unless it can fit through an airport sized scanner. Check the bags with the porter and you'll be fine.

I do advise taking out insurance. If you are willing to live with the risk of having to be evacuated from the ship or becoming ill in a foreign port and your U.S. health insurance doesn't cover you, then that's your choice.

Drink prices will run you anywhere from $4 to $10 depending on what you are drinking. The drink of the day will be around $4 and top shelf pours and foo-foo martinis will be around $10.

If you want to lower your bar bill I suggest two things: 1. Call the Bon Voyage department and order a bottle or two of liquor beforehand. They usually don't advertise this but all cruise lines have an "In-Cabin Bar Setup" It will be higher than land prices but still less than by the drink. 2. You can try to smuggle it in your checked suitcase. If you are caught the worst that can happen is you go to the "naughty room", pick up you luggage and they confiscate your liquor until the end of the cruise. The risk is up to you. Yes; they will check a purse or anything else carried onboard.

I personally use the in-cabin bar setup. Much less hassle and no worry about gin soaked underwear.

Take care and have a great cruise,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

About the luggage..let's just say there is a store in Alabama, filled to the brim, with all the lost luggage you could imagine.......the insurance could save you if this does happen.

Go to insuremytrip.com..plug in your info, and see what the insurance would cost you..it may give you the peace of mind you need..in addition if by chance you need the medical attention outside the country which the cost of, could make you crazy!

If you see people onboard wearing the same clothes every day, you know their luggage got lost....we had a woman at out table, who begged and borrowed what she needed...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, think about purchasing the travel insurance, it isn't too late. It does cover things like missing luggage, trip delays, and the all important med. insurance and travel if needed. Its a small price to pay and hopefully you will NOT need it.

Message Boards Moderator