Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Shore Excursions Scooter vs Wheel Chair

We're cruising on NCL next month, going to Grand Bahamas, Nassau and Stirrup Cay. I need to know how you get off the ship to go to the islands? Will someone in a wheel chair or scooter be able to get off and how? Also, which is better on a ship? Or could we bring both?
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While I have not been to Stirrup Cay, you will get help by the crew getting on and off the tender. If the seas are rough, this could be a tricky manuveur, and they may not allow it to to be done...Other cruise islands, now have wheelchairs with big plastic style wheels, to get around on the sand easily.

Since you dock at the pier, in Nassau, you will get off as you did when you boarded the ship.

If I remember correctly, Nassau still has high curbs, without ramps...but you can email their tourism bureau, or even call them, to see if this has changed. I hope this helps a bit.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Admiral

I have not been to Stirrup Cay in a few years, 'tho it is one of my favorite places. But, they use tenders to get back and forth. These are not like most tenders, since there is no dock. Think of WWII movies and the tender boats that folded down like the back of a pickup truck directly onto the beach. Boy I hope that made sense. Hard to describe.
Marty
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Here is NCL's general information site. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...tsSpecialNeeds There are phone numbers on this site. I would check the measurments of the scooter/wheelchair and make certain it will fit on elevators. This is directly from the site.
Quote:
Guests that require fulltime use of a wheelchair must provide their own. Motorized wheelchairs and Scooters are welcome as well; however, they must be powered by gel-cell batteries. Due to safety regulations, NCL will not accept any wet-cell or acid battery-powered wheelchairs on board the ships. The wheelchair battery charger must be adaptable to 110 voltages.
I hope this helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I answered you on the NCL board but one more thing if you bring a scooter you will need a Handicapped cabin, the scooter will not fit through the door of a standard cabin nor is there room for it and it is illegal to leave it in the halls or foyers and also is a very bad idea anyway.
Ships used to let you get away with this but they were never suppose to and have been cracking down on it, It is a safety hazzard to others and makes it impossible for others in WC's to get past as well.

Anyway if you don't have a HC cabin booked your choice will be made for you, take the folding WC.
you cannot take the scooter on a tender on MOST cruiselines. the WC is ok if the person can walk onto the tender and they take the chair empty.
DO NOT EVER let crew members LIFT the person IN the wheelchair, it is extremely dangerous. and WC's are not designed to be lifted.

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference