Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Beginner

Default tipping

I will be on the Star Princess. The tipping is $10.50 a day. How do I know who gets what out of this tip? I heard some people take off the auto tipping and then do it at the end. What is recommended?
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Piglet,
I find it easier to just leave the auto tipping...If you had really superior service from someone, you can always add to it. The bulk of it goes equally to your cabin attandant and your waiter in the dining room...Well deserved I will add.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I too think that auto tipping is the way to go....Just as you can add for over and above service, you can subtract for sub par service.. I have only done this a couple of times, but, I felt it needed to be done..like a wake up call ..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Auto tipping is definitely the way to go. Makes it easy. If you feel the service was up and above what you expected you can always add more. Like Trip said if you feel it was not up to par you can easily deduct. I haven't had to do that yet and not to ever have to.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Captain

My vote is auto-tipping. I've only had one experience where I needed to have the gratuities removed, only to pass out the cash envelopes.
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
First Mate

Default Tipping

Adding tips to your cabin bill is generally a standard in the cruise industry. Do all the tips go where they are susposed to? Trying to get this question answered is not easy. I have talked with dozens of cruise staff and in general the staff gets what management tells them is their share. I have tried to just forget the "mandatory tip" estabished by the cruise line. Going to the Purser's office asking the mandatory tip to be removed from your bill will be a trip you probally will never forget. You will be ask why, why, why? I was traveling with a couple that did that and they said they would never do it agin. Just consider that $10.50 a day part of your cruise cost, then if you have really great service leave that person a little extra.Have a great cruise and don't think again about the "auto tip".