Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Beginner

Default Travel Agency or Cruise Line $$$

On line Carnival and Travel Agency same cruise. Will there be a discrepancy in the prices charge? The travel agency says No, their prices are dictated by Carnival. But I keep seeing differences. Why even think about a travel agency if there is no benefit? Why not just book on-line through the cruise line? Or is there a benefit using a Travel Agency?
Thanks! First time Cruise coming up!
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Admiral

A travel agent represents the cruiser and can mediate if a problem occurs.
Since the CC that works for the cruiseline , they are restricted as to their
authority for dealing with problems.

I personally would always use a TA , more personalized service.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, always a travel agent. You also have to make sure the prices quoted are with all the taxes, etc. A lot of the time, they will advertize a price that does not include that while an agency may have that figured in, so they look higher, but may even be lower.

Many cruise travel agents also buy up group space and can give you a better deal/price on any of those cruises, always ask about those. They also usually add something, like an onboard credit.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Travel Agency or Cruise Line $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspoet
On line Carnival and Travel Agency same cruise. Will there be a discrepancy in the prices charge? The travel agency says No, their prices are dictated by Carnival. But I keep seeing differences. Why even think about a travel agency if there is no benefit? Why not just book on-line through the cruise line? Or is there a benefit using a Travel Agency?
Thanks! First time Cruise coming up!
A travel agent, selling a Carnival cruise, can discount that price if you contact them directly. They cannot "advertise" a price lower than Carnival. Discounting means they take part of their commission and basically pay part of your cruise. It may not be a huge amount but it would be less than Carnival's.

The lower the price of the cruise the less an agent can discount. So if you are buying a $299 bargain cruise the agent may not be able to discount.

I recommend and use a travel agent. The PVP is working for the cruise line and is required to put the cruise line's interest first. A travel agent represents you and is there when problems occur, before, during and after your cruise. Agents can also have access to group bookings, at less of a cost, than Carnival is selling it.

So: The short answer is: Use a "good" agent.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Admiral

While I almost always use our travel agent, I sometimes find real bargain basement deals going direct with the cruise line. I always give our agent a chance to meet or beat the price, but at times, it is simply not worth their while. When the agency is owned by an individual, I used to be able to convince them to work with me even on bottom prices. But, those owned by larger corporations now don't give the agent enough authority. So, once in a while, I book direct. Just my bottom feeding approach.
Marty
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Admiral

In most cases my TA's price is the same or lower.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Beginner

Just booked with a TA for hundreds less than price quoted on Carnival web site. Bottom line, I think, is that it doesn't hurt to call them and get a quote.
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Passenger

Be aware there are many TA's that are charging professional consultation fees that have nothing to do with the price of the cruise. Consider it an insurance policy for a newbie for matching them to the perfect cruise experience for them.
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Although most TA's are now not able to advertise the cruise at a lower price, they are usually able to offer onboard credits or another perk. We have a group of 23 leaving next month. We went through a TA, receiving onboard credit. Some of the group went through a different TA and got a trip for 5 days in Cabo (1 went through the same TA and got 7 days in Cabo! ) Some went thru RCCL and got nothing. We all got the same price for the room (after taxes, etc.) - so it pays to shop around.
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews