Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default New ports of departure

why is it that almost all cruises in the northern hemiphere originate in the U.S.A. I live in mexico and I no longer want to be subjected to the (gestapo like) tactics of american airport security I wish that the cruise lines would,understand that there are many people who think the way that I do . The world does not begin and end in the U.S.A. If more cruise lines took a tip from Royal Carribean and started departing from Panama or some other Country this might just be the way to save themselves financially.
There are many people in Latin America who have disposable income and would like to take cruises but hate being harrassed when they land on U.S.soil. This is my humble opinion , the frankster
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: New ports of departure

Quote:
Originally Posted by the frankster
why is it that almost all cruises in the northern hemisphere originate in the U.S.A. I live in Mexico and I no longer want to be subjected to the (gestapo like) tactics of American airport security I wish that the cruise lines would,understand that there are many people who think the way that I do . The world does not begin and end in the U.S.A. If more cruise lines took a tip from Royal Caribbean and started departing from Panama or some other Country this might just be the way to save themselves financially.
There are many people in Latin America who have disposable income and would like to take cruises but hate being harassed when they land on U.S.soil. This is my humble opinion , the frankster
frankster:

While I understand and appreciate your desire to have more Latin American departures the truth of the matter is that the majority of the cruise passengers are Americans and they are ones that fill the majority of ships for Caribbean cruises. The additional airline charges for the U.S. and Canadian passengers would increase their cost for a cruise. Believe me, if the cruise lines thought they could make more money sailing out of Mexico they would do it in a heartbeat.

There are numerous departures from Brasil, Argentina and Chile. There are also many departures from throughout Europe so U.S. only ports are not the only option available.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Admiral

I agree with you (Canadian) . Princess has a Panama Canal Cruise that goes from Acapulco to San Juan PR during the winter .
If you now travel to Canada you will require to have a Visa to enter the country.
Have you ever considered a cruise from Europe instead of the US oe a Alaska cruise from Vancouver .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Admiral

If it makes you feel any better, they can be pretty rough on US citizens, too. My nephew, who has dark hair, but ancestry that is pure US got stopped and hassled boarding our cruise last May. I have blonde hair, blue eyes and got searched and my belongings dismantled and searched in a US airport because my planned return trip flight had been cancelled. I am disabled, so the airline "bought" me a one way ticket on another airline. And, that plus my metal cane put me in the suspicious category. No matter how well they try to train security, too many of them are just inexperienced. Our Puerto Rican neighbor has a hard time, because he looks Hispanic because he is and yet Puerto Rico is US territory, which makes him a US citizen.
But, Mike is right. All companies, including cruise lines, will go where the most money can be made. I wish Mexico could be one of those, as I love your country, but for now, I don't think the cruise lines are going to change.
Marty