Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
First Mate

Default What is my best move?

I am booked on the Victory for 9/13/09 and have airfare purchased direct from Delta. I also have two nights hotel booked idrect post-cruise. I do not have insurance, but am too late anyway for the "cancel for any reason" policy. I realize I can purchase insurance as late as today, and cancel my trip with some refund, even though I am only 19 days out.
Here is my dilemma: Mother in law is in the hospital for the past two weeks, and has been diagnosed with lung cancer. She is getting chemo and has begun the roller coaster ride of being either godd, or at deaths door. My thought is, cancel or post pne the cruise. Naturally we want to spend all the time we can with her. If I lose all my money, so be it, but if I can get some back, why not?

My question is how should I approach this with the airlines and Carnival to maximize my refund?
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Admiral

I would simply contact them and tell them the truth. Trying to get the insurance angle to work at this stage may not be likely. But, hopefully, someone here who has had experience with trip insurance for a case like this can give you some input. Did you use a travel agent who might be able to guide you?
Good luck,
Marty
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I would simply contact them and tell them the truth. Trying to get the insurance angle to work at this stage may not be likely. But, hopefully, someone here who has had experience with trip insurance for a case like this can give you some input. Did you use a travel agent who might be able to guide you?
Good luck,
Marty
I agree with Marty. Telling the cruise line your situation would be the best thing to do.

Buying insurance at this stage would be a waste of more money. It would not cover your Mother-in-laws cancer. It would be a "pre-existing" condition and the provider would not pay. Even if you did they would require a doctor's statement of when the cancer was discovered. It would be after you bought the insurance.

Take care and I hope everything works out for both you and your Mother-in-law.

Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM
First Mate

I have cancelled the trip. I will lose half of the cruise fare, although I was told I could write a letter for consideration. The airlines simply gave me a credit until July of 2010.
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't wanting to do anything unethical. I had my heart set on this trip for my wifes birthday. Losing $1,000 is really not the end of the world considering it will allow us to be with my mother in law for her last days.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

First off, sorry to hear about your mother in law, and we all wish her and your family the best.

Sadly, this is a very typical situation, where way too many people to not purchase the travel insurance. The cost of the insurance is generally pretty minimal, and people just don't give adequate consideration to all the things that can happen to force cancellation or serious health incidents that occur onboard.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/