Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Best way to obtain Foreign currency

Does anyone know the conversion rate that is normally charged by the Money Exchanger located in foreign airports or any oher location after arriving in the country?

I am mostly interested in the Euro.

I know I can convert USD to Euro by going to my local bank. If you have an account with the Bank I>E Bank of America you can get the conversion but they charge $7.50 for the delivery. Thart is for a $200 conversion.

So if the money exchanger charge say 3% then that would be a better deal than the $7.50 delivery charge.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Ray, by far the best deal is to use an ATM machine in the airport. The "money changers" are pretty bad, at least three if not closer to 5%. I used to order currency before leaving states (BofA) but switched to ATM when I found out how cheap they are. With BofA, I would pay $5 fee and then get midmarket rates. Now, with Fidelity, I pay no fees and still get midmarket rates.

There are always ATMs at airports.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14