Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Default Late 20's Couple Seeking Cruise Line for Honeymoon

My fiance and I are planning on doing a 7 day caribbean cruise as part of our honeymoon. What cruise lines would you recommend for this? Neither of us have ever been on a cruise before, but like the idea of seeing a bunch of islands before going to an island for the second part of the honeymoon.

Thank you for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_nu View Post
My fiancÚ and I are planning on doing a 7 day Caribbean cruise as part of our honeymoon. What cruise lines would you recommend for this? Neither of us have ever been on a cruise before, but like the idea of seeing a bunch of islands before going to an island for the second part of the honeymoon.

Thank you for your advice!
It depends on what you like. Do you want more activity and water sports? Do you want to do shopping and more land activities?

Generally the Western Caribbean has more water related activities. Snorkeling or scuba diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Zip lines and jungle tours in Jamaica.

In the Eastern Caribbean there is loads of shopping and beaches to lounge on.

I personally would do Western Caribbean, especially if you haven't cruised before, you will find a lot to do.

Then again, there is a seven day cruise from San Juan which gives you chance to visit some of the more exotic islands such as Barbados and St. Lucia.

It is a hard decision but one that is fun making.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My suggestion for the crusie line would be one of the larger Royal caribbean ships. such as Liberty Freedom, or Independence of the Seas...There is enough going on if you want to participate such as, the rock climbing wall, the flow rider, & promenade parades, and the ships are beautiful and appointed so well, that if you want to do nothing that's fine too.....Check out the spa options, and treat yourself, afterall, this is your honeymoon...

The southern Itinerary,mostly departing from San Juan, gives you the exotic islands such as Barbados, Aruba....quite port intensive with one day at sea, the first or last day out....

I would suggest, the eastern itinerary. A nice blend of islands such as St Thomas, St Maarten, Sam Juan, St Kitts, to just name a few....these eastern ports gives a nice blend of shopping, fabulous beaches, with snorkeling, and historic sites tossed in the mix...have fun planning and come back and let us know what you selected....happy planning!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Captain

Based on my experience, I would recommend Princess as your best choice for starting out. While all cruise lines can offer a good cruising experience, IMHO Princess offers the most consistently enjoyable cruising experience. After your first cruise you will probably want to take many more and Princess offers one of the best past passenger rewards program.

Enjoy your cruise what ever cruise line you choose.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Considering you are in your 20s I would suggest one of the big three; Carnival, Royal Caribbean or NCL.

If you enjoy fun people, the Carnival is probably the best bet. They go out of their wway to create an atmosphere of "fun." The music and entertainment will be more to your liking, as well as the decor, etc.

If you are sports and fitness minded I recommend Royal Caribbean's bigger ships (Voyager, Freedom or Oasis classes) - they have rock climbing, inline skating, ice skating, etc. But you probably find the staff as outgoing or the food as good as Carnival.

NCL is in the middle. They are activities and a wide variety of food. Maybe not the same service as carnival, though. The ships are fun and the netertainment is good. If sailing after July, I would consider the new Norwegian Epic.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Admiral

that is a tough question it is so much about your own personal preference. If you want gorgeous beaches, good snorkeling, and shopping then i would go with an Eastern Route. If you want something more active and with more water activites then i would choose a Western Route. IF you want something more port intensive and bit more exotic then i would go with a Southern Route. As for cruise lines i would choose either Princess - Grand Class Ships or Royal Caribbeans Freedom Class ships. Personally for a first cruise i would like something a bit more intimate so i would stay away from the huge ships like RCLS Oasis
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Admiral

I agree with the other posters as to which cruise lines. My personal preference would be Carnival for younger people, but Princess is also great, and HAL was super to us on our honeymoon, but we were in our 50's at the time.
You might also want to research your itinerary with the number of ports in mind. Some cruises are port-intensive, while others have more sea days (more quiet time to relax as well) If you're looking to visit a lot of island to choose one for future vacations, then choose a cruise with a lot of port stops. One of my favouite itineraries is one that include St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Aruba, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados. All lovely islands to visit.
Good luck, and happy honeymoon!

donna