Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Beginner

Default Get in contact with a worker on a cruise ship

I was on the Grand Princess 2 weeks ago and i was wondering if there was a way to re-connect with a worker on that ship. He took a lot of pride in his job and I saw him every day, working hard. I wanted to give him my email address but waited till the end and then I didn't see him...figures. I only know his first name, but I know where he's from and were he normally works. Can anyone help?.

Con2010
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The only way I know of is to contact the cruise line and ask the procedure for contacting an employee at sea.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You may possibly post this in the "Crew" section here at Cruisemates, just in case he reads our boards...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You could also check, on the "meet onboard" forum, if someone sailing on the ship soon, might pass along the message for you..worth a shot...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 24th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by con2010 View Post
I was on the Grand Princess 2 weeks ago and i was wondering if there was a way to re-connect with a worker on that ship. He took a lot of pride in his job and I saw him every day, working hard. I wanted to give him my email address but waited till the end and then I didn't see him...figures. I only know his first name, but I know where he's from and were he normally works. Can anyone help?.

Con2010
Hi, Con2010, I really hate to "burst your bubble", but there's probably no way to contact this young man. I'm just trying to be honest with you and not get your hope's up . If he had wanted to keep in contact with you he would have given you his email.

As you cruise more, you'll find that the people who work on board ships are very nice, but are really not interested in any "hookup's". Most of the young men are married, have children and are sending their $$ home. If you do happen to re-connect, find him and enjoy a relationship, please let us know!

I must say that there was once a young lady who posted here on CM's and married a young man who was working on a cruise ship . It was the only time I ever saw this kind of connection.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014

Last edited by Fern; February 24th, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Beginner

Thanks Fern for your words of wisdom. You're probably right, but I really didn't give him a chance to give me his email. I was always with someone. He would always look and stare at me and he was always smiling, maybe he thought I was with someone. I was with another girl and 2 guys. I really wanted to give him my email to keep in contact as a friend. I thought he was really nice and sweet. I'm a big fan of the saying "too have no regret's". At least I know I've tried, so now I dont have to look back and say....I wish I had.

Thanks Fern,

Con
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Admiral

The only other possible way is to send snail mail to the cruise line, with his name, position (i.e. waiter), and ship at the bottom left of the envelope.
Good luck, but not likely, as the others have said.
Marty
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Unhappy

So i just came from a cruise and i really connected with a worker their that even on the debarkation day he waved bye. The worked on the photo section i has really sad cause then i realized that i could of gave him something to contact me by
I didnt get his name. And i kinda assumed he was probably marriend cause he look like he was in his early 30's im so sad that im most likely never going to see or talk to hin again
Wish they had their own chat line or something wahhh!!!
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just in case this worker visits the boards here at Cruisemates, you may want to post this in the crewmembers forum:

Crewmembers

Best of luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I just got back from a cruise, and was able to give my contact details to one of the female drinks stewards.
The waiting begins.
Old October 19th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi guys,
Just a few words of personal experience on this...
My boyfriend, sister and best friend all work for for cruise liners and I'm sorry to say that as a general rule they are just not interested in hooking up with passengers or keeping in contact after you leave. What you have to remember is this is a short holiday for you where you meet new people briefly then go home. For them this is every day life and as quickly as you come and go, a new boat load of people come on and it stop, starts all over again. They meet at least 2000 new people every single week, so as unique and special as you think you are to them or that you think your connection was, generally for them it's just part of the job. They are paid to get the passengers to feel special and they are rated according to how many compliments, recommendations, or complaints that they get from passengers - this then affects their future pay rates and job advancements. So of course they will flirt and smile and make you feel like a million bucks, it's in their best interests! Because of this, they are AAAAALWAYS getting numbers and emails and facebook messages from enamoured passengers (trust me, we often joke about it) and it's rare, if ever, that they keep in contact back. Plus you have to remember they work HARD, sometimes 16-20 hours every day depending on the company so even if you give them your contact details, they don't really have the time to pop on down to port, find an internet connection and start chatting to or emailing passengers, however nice they were. Any little free time is spent eating, sleeping and snatching precious moments to talk to family and loved ones whom they haven't seen for months. Also, this is their normal life remember, so they almost always have a partner on board with them or a family back home they are saving money for because they can earn a better wage working in the ship. I'm not trying too burst anyone's bubble here, but just telling it like it is, speaking from years and years of personal experience.

As a disclaimer, I have to admit, I did meet my boyfriend on a cruise ship, but my entire family was visiting my sister and they are friends and worked together. So for the two weeks we were on board we were often all down in the crew areas (special permissions) or up in our cabins. He then came to visit our family at the end of the contract and stayed with me as a result. So whilst technically we met on a cruise, the circumstances were pretty different. I've done a number of other cruises before and after and the reality I posted above has always been the case.

Jane
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to Phoebe12

Steluz, I understand how you feel. I just came back from a cruise myself and met a staff member who I clicked with. I forgot to give him my info and now he's going home for a few months and then a new ship. I know his name, but don't know how to spell his last name. I wanted to do the same cruise next year, but he probably won't be on it, as staff members are rotated frequently. Anyone have any suggestions?