Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Default Cruise Chat

I am assuming that there are several thosand registered people on CM ,however ,only a handful partake in the cruise chat forum .I am wondering why .I go there as often as I can and on every occasion I have learned something about cruising . To me ,its a wonderful forum .
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Cruise Chat is wonderful; unfortunately, it is now at 3am for me. I stopped by on Friday night week before last (only day I can be up at 3am) and Paul and I were only ones in chat.

Maybe we can bring back Friday night trivia and build up the crowds again. How about having special guests with moderated questions as has happened in the past. Maybe Tim Rubacky or Frank Del Rio could be a guest.

Or, get Nancy to stop by and provide advice. I think there are many ways we can re-energize Cruise Chat.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There was a time when the room was full, but not so these days. I seem to think that we now have Facebook and Twitter, etc. Every now and then we have a handfull of chatters, and we all love to talk cruising. I try to check in a few times a week, but lately I have to work late two times a week, so that limits my time to get there in time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Admiral

I don't post on any social networks ,thats not my thing
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Captain

Even though, I have sailed to Alaska many, many times, I still learn new things about Alaska as well as other places and things here on cruisemates everyday.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Even though, I have sailed to Alaska many, many times, I still learn new things about Alaska as well as other places and things here on cruisemates everyday.

Debra
While it's great that you find CruiseMates helpful. In this case Henry was talking about our LIVE online chat room.
CruiseMates Nightly Cruise Chat

And, in answer to Henry's post, I'd say the low participation nightly has to do with, like Debra, not many people knowing of its existance, nor finding it.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Hello Kuki :

I found it almost immediately after I began posting on these great boards .I just saw that I have reached Captain status .
Do people go to the daytime chats ?
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Cool On-Line Chats

The problem with that we found on another board that one particular cruiser thought it was her duty to broadcast almost every moment of the day with blow by blow descriptions of HER cruises..What an ego!!! Who cared if she sat at the right or the left of the Captain at dinner..Aren't there somethings that should be left to the casual diner to discover for him/herself..:It would be better if she would enjoy her cruise and then write a review...
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Admiral

I've been going to the evening chat site several times a week .Everyone there is very nice
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Henry, the chat is a great place to swap stories and get info....like everything, is has it's ebbs and flows...Marc had few good ideas...!

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/chat/chatpage.cfm

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Trip:

Everything that Mark said is before my time in here but it sounds great
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Admiral

I used to go there regularly, but a new job has taken up a lot of my free time. I hope to get back there soon, it was great fun with a lot of great people!

donna
Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

I really enjoyed Chat. The folks are the BEST!
Now that I have slow connection I have too many problems connecting!
I miss everyone there!
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Admiral

To be honest I think if you were more welcoming you may get more people, I must admit I find it is a bit of a struggle. I asked advice of one person by PM & was told basically that what I asked was ''ok'' as long as I did not attack anyone, be disruptive or use "vulgarities"....nice.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sweet James you are missed believe me....John I think you have met the most welcoming site on the web....no one wants vulgarity,bullies or overly disruptive discusions to the nth degree....we pride ourselve on our willingness to help and encourage spirited discussions...at some point many are taken to the extreme, and the moderators need to step in...I am sorry you didn't get the response you were looking for....don't be discouraged and ask again..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; April 23rd, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
To be honest I think if you were more welcoming you may get more people, I must admit I find it is a bit of a struggle. I asked advice of one person by PM & was told basically that what I asked was ''ok'' as long as I did not attack anyone, be disruptive or use "vulgarities"....nice.
John... sorry, but what you've said is a load of bullocks.

You wrote me saying that some people on another site told you that you post too much and too varied. I responded telling you, you were welcome to post as much as you like as long as you follow the "rules of the road" and "do not attack anyone, be disurptive or use vulgarities".

Quite a different interpretation that you've presented here....to use your own word...nice.
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Good morning...
Well, I don't think warning someone you have just met to watch their step by not being vulgar or being disruptive is a "nice" reply to a question from a newcomer trying to find out some ground rules on a new site.
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Good morning...
Well, I don't think warning someone you have just met to watch their step by not being vulgar or being disruptive is a "nice" reply to a question from a newcomer trying to find out some ground rules on a new site.

YOU ASKED.. and you said it yourself AGAIN above.. "a newcomer trying to find out some of the ground rules of a new site".

I answered... you are welcome to post as much as you like, and on as varied topics as you like as long as you don't.........

You're the one who PMd me, telling me you had issues with another site, and asking the question. I responded quite pleasantly and with the facts you requested.

You're right .... I didn't invite you over for tea, sorry. You're also the one misrepresenting the facts, which isn't a great start.

If you wanted to be welcomed to the site itself it would be very easy to place a post, as many do saying. Hi, I'm new here, and a bit about your cruise history. I'm sure the entire welcome wagon would have been out in force, as they NORMALLY are to welcome new folks.
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Admiral

I think the tone of your reply says more than I could.
All I asked was.. another site didn't like people posting a lot on varied subjects, was that Ok here? you saw fit to give a warning about attacking others, vulgarity, etc. A bit like someone asking about cruises & you telling him not to hog chairs, smoke in the cabin & that he must wash his hands. A welcome is generally given not asked for, perhaps if it has to be asked for then it isn't willingly given. The thread was about why you are lacking members, I offered a view as a newcomer.
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Actually the original thread was about our LIVE chat room.
CruiseMates Nightly Cruise Chat

I'd have never posted any further comment until you totally misrepresented your "communication" with me.

I repeat.. U asked questions about posting a lot, on varied topics (which you had be warned against elsewhere). I simply answered your question.. saying yes your posts are welcome as long as you obey "the rules of the road".

If you took it as anything other than answering your question it is YOU that misinterpreted it.

We state here always and often that newcomers are welcome. And when they make any attempt they are welcomed with open arms.
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Let me try to help here....I ask if posting a lot on varied subjects is a problem, you could say ''no of course not''...that is called "answering the question", to go on further & warn about attacking others, using vulgarities etc. is lecturing & patronising.
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Admiral

John,

I'm afraid your interpretation of my response says more about your attitude than mine.

You wrote to me privately. Told me you had a problem elsewhere, and asked if that was a problem at CruiseMates... so I told you how to go ahead and post as much as you liked, with some tips on how to avoid those problems here. In my view I was being helpful.

If asked those questions I could never say sure go ahead and post whatever you like, whenever you like... because as I said we do have some rules of the road.

If you weren't looking for that type of guidance I have no idea why you would even write me about the matter privately, as I certainly hadn't contacted you about the way, or how you post.
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM
Admiral

John,
You seem to be determined to have things entirely your way. If someone comes to my house, I will tell them they have to smoke outside and please do not allow the cat to run out the door. It is not that they are not welcome, it is purely a way of being fair to all by stating my "house rules" up front. That's all that you got here.
Why do you object to the rules not allowing you to be abusive to others?
Marty