Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Beginner

Question chip

Took my family, (wife, two kids and spouses) on our first RC cruise and had a good time. On the first morning out the Capt. Announced that we would have to skip our first port due to weather but publicly announced that those of us who paid in advance for the whole vacation would have the port charges for the first stop put back on our credit card ($260). We were assured of this at the customer desk the night before departing. We are now being told that RC does not refund port charges for any reason. I am perplexed at this practice. We found out that if we had not paid in advance, then we would not have been charged for these charges before leaving. I have been polite and firm with each RC representative I've talked to but they are just as firm in their policy.
I even wrote a very very polite letter to the CEO and the Capt of the ship we were on but no reply yet. Is this a normal practice on all cruise lines? Is this a dead issue at this point. ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Chip,
NOt sure I totally understand, but when booking a cruise, everyone has to pay for port charges. I have them credited back when we missed a port, however, it was automatic and deducded before we left the ship. Did you enquire about this while you were on the ship??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Chip, i am a bit confused here, everyone pays port charges, and they are automatically refunded to your sign and sail card if the port is cancelled, do you mean cruise excursion charges? did you subsitue a port for the one missed?
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Everyone on the ship is "paid in advance" before they set sail. You don't get onboard until your fare, including port charges, is paid. I am a bit confused about "not paying in advance". Perhaps you, or they are referring to "excursions" that people had pre-purchased.

Actual port charges are only around $25/pp. So the refund for your family would have been around $150. (If there were six of you) This is usually refunded to your shipboard account and not presented as a check or cash refund.

I am not sure about Royal Caribbean not refunding port charges. I know that when missing a port that a refund of $25 is customary but not obligatory.

I think there is some confusion that needs clearing up.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Admiral

It sounds more like a missed shore excursion to me....The amount was too high just for a port charge of a missed port...

Chip, please explain...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Not meaning to really stick my nose in but perhaps this was a shore excursion booked and paid through and to independent tour operator??
Old March 20th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Admiral

Hi Ron,
You could be right, we're waiting on the origional poster to get more info....so far, he hasn't returned.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Donna, that is what i think, we will just have to wait and see if chip replys back to us