Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default sea sick

Is staying in the middle of the ship a better area for someone that has a dizzy/sea sick problem? we have booked a very cheap room (inside) and were wondering if we might should upgrade.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

First of all - there are two kinds of motion; side to side (aka "rolling") and up and down as the ship rides perpendicular to the swells and rises up waves and goes over them. That is called "pitching".

Normally, any ship will trying to sail into the waves rather than letting them hit the ship from the side. Plus, they can manage rolling with stabilizers, but they can't stop pitching.

Therefore, the distance you are between the two sides of the ship is not really relevent - has no different effect. You will feel roughly the same rolling movement in an inside cabin as you will in an outside cabin. For rolling, the only difference is how far up on the ship you are (lower cabins are better).

But what matters a lot more is how close you are to the front (most wave motion) or the back (second most). You feel the pitching the most when you are towards the front of a ship, and not quite as much when you are at the rear of a ship. You feel pitching the least in the middle of the ship.

So the absolute best spot is in the (1) middle (between front & rear) and (2) lower (between lower and higher decks) area of the ship, but the first is more important then the latter.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Leni,
Yes, there is a bit less motion being in the middle. If you are prone to sea sickness, a window is a big help, just being able to see the horizon. You can purchase bonnine at your local pharmacy before you cruise. It also helps to have a full stomach most of the time.... With any luck depending if you are on a big ship, you don't always feeling that you are moving.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

One thing about Bonine and full stomachs. Follw the directions on Bonine that say to melt the tablet under your tongue.

Nausea often means your stomach is not digesting, which means swallowing a bonine on a full stomach may not work if you get sick soon afterards. I have thrown up at 2:00 am - well after dinner, and seen the bonine I swallowed hours before come up whole.
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
One thing about Bonine and full stomachs. Follw the directions on Bonine that say to melt the tablet under your tongue.

Nausea often means your stomach is not digesting, which means swallowing a bonine on a full stomach may not work if you get sick soon afterards. I have thrown up at 2:00 am - well after dinner, and seen the bonine I swallowed hours before come up whole.
Ummm, Paul, TMI, TMI :o!

To Leni, the OP, unless you get carsick or airsick you probably won't get sea sick! Since I don't like to be "out of it" when on vacation :???:, I don't depend on any drugs. From what I've heard, green apples, ginger and watching the horizon are the best "cures".

A cabin that's low and midship will definitely be good if you suffer from motion sickness.

Have a wonderful cruise,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Familiar Face

thank you everyone I already called out TA and arranged a room in the middle of the ship.
We will be going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica.
My husband and I are in our 50s our daughter 20s is going with us what can we all do on Cozumel besides snorkle since none of us know how.
After reading some of the posts on Jaimaca I'm getting second thougths about that particular cruise since everyone seems to think Jaimaca is not a very safe place.
Any thoughts on that?
Thank you.
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Leni, as the others have told you midships/mid-deck is where you want to be for the most stable ride. As for your snorkeling, you don't have to know how to snorkel to really enjoy it,if you can float and are comfortable putting your face in the water you can snorkel. Cozumel has some amazing snorkeling, and the divemasters on the dive boats will teach you, and swim with you until they feel that you are comfortable with your snorkeling. There are beautiful beaches to just hang out at, if you are into culture and history you can discover the Mayan Ruins, if you want to swim with dolphins you can do that to. As for Jamaica, yes there has been some trouble lately with a drug war, if the island wasn't safe the cruise lines would not go there, its a shame because Jamaica is so gorgeous, if you do decide to do something ashore in Jamaica i would definately book a ships excursion
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Lower deck, midship, is the most stable area on the ship. This is one of the main reasons that many of the medical centers are in this area.

One thing to remember about Bonine (Meclizine) is that it is a preventative and should be taken BEFORE you become seasick. Take it on a daily basis. In the evening is best in the event you are one of the people that Meclizine makes drowsy. Once you are sick it won't help one bit, and as Paul "shared", you will probably give it to the porcelain convenience.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Captain

I agree, Midship is best for less motion.

I also agree that it is best to use any anti-nausea med as a preventive. In other words, take it before you get sick and "just in case" you might get sick.

I have tried the prescription patches and Dramamine. Personally I have had the best experience with the "less drowsy" Dramamine that is good for up to 24 hours. Usually take one the night before I sail and one at dinner time each night.. If it tends to make me a little sleepy, it will kick it about bedtime. On very smooth cruises, I have been able to skip the Dramamine for a day or two during the cruise, but I still take it up front until I see how smooth the sailing is.

I have heard others on cruises say that they had good results "after getting sick" by putting on the wrist bands they purchased on board.

Ginger is a natural cure for nausea but I have never heard of the "green apple" cure. Sounds interesting. I wonder if there is a ginger tablet available. A friend who has a lot of nausea as a side-effect of her altzhiemer meds needs something "natural" to help with nausea.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days