Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Beginner

Default Planning a high school graduation cruise

Planning a group cruise to Mexico with upwards to ten to twelve 17-18 year olds for June 2011. There will also be 2-4 parents traveling as well. How do I get the best deal for a group trip? Would it be more economical to get a couple of large suites for the teens versus 5 or 6 separate staterooms? Which cruise line and itinerary do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The best advice that I, or anyone else, can give you is: Get a TA who specializes in group cruises.

There are amenities and price reductions for booking eight or more cabins plus booking and coordinating a large group can be a nightmare. It is something I wouldn't do and I am fairly knowledgeable about pricing and cruises.

One thing to keep in mind. You will need one adult (25 or older) in each cabin.

If you need a recommendation you can PM me and I will give you one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Your going to need more parents.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with Mike on his recommendations
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh, for sure, use a good cruise travel agent for a group this large. There could be some extras that you could take advantage of. Yes, it takes lots of planning with all those teens...Should be a good time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Everyone is right, find a good CRUISE ONLY travel agent.

Carnival requires an adult over 25 in each cabin, so if 12 are going then FOUR adults have to go with a ratio of 3to1 student/adult. You'll need to get four cabins quad cabins to accommodate everyone.

The big problem is going to be who is going to pay what. This is where the fights start. It has to be fair and equitable for everyone. Therefore, using and example, if the cabin cost for four is $1000 then everyone pays $250, even if you are the one stuck sleeping in the upper berth (and that should be done fair and equitable between the students to each take a turn on the upper berth, UNLESS you have anyone who is a little fluffy and over 220lbs, then you don't want them sleeping in the upper berth as they have a weight limit.

You may also want to think about more chaperones because the drinking age in Mexico is 18, so anyone who is 18 can drink themselves into insensibility and feel the consequences the next day. Thus, the four adults will have to be vigilant and very good at watching the shore-sde alcohol consumption!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....