CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Luggage Locks (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/378297-luggage-locks.html)

Lakers Fan November 23rd, 2010 07:20 PM

Luggage Locks

We were recommended to use TSA approved Luggage locks .What is the concensus ,to use or not to use ?

Skipper's Mom November 23rd, 2010 07:47 PM

Henry,

Since you will be flying into Fort Lauderdale, the TSA locks are recommended. You may also use electrical, plastic wire tires to secure your luggage. We bought a few of the TSA locks a while back and they work fine. If your bags are opened with the wire ties, you know immediately. The same with the TSA locks.

Have a great trip.

Lakers Fan November 23rd, 2010 07:52 PM

Skipper's Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom (Post 1330546)
Henry,

Since you will be flying into Fort Lauderdale, the TSA locks are recommended. You may also use electrical, plastic wire tires to secure your luggage. We bought a few of the TSA locks a while back and they work fine. If your bags are opened with the wire ties, you know immediately. The same with the TSA locks.

Have a great trip.

Since you took the same cruise I will be taking and on the same ship ,I wanted to PM you to get a brief synopsis of your trip ,pros and cons .However ,you do not accept PM's .I would sincerely appreciate if you could send me a PM and let me know about your cruise .

Thanking you in advance ,I am

"Henry43"

Snoozeman November 23rd, 2010 09:57 PM

I always use cable ties. Never had a problem, TSA has inspected (opened) them only twice in 3-4 years and they just replace with a new cable tie.

I keep an old BSA knife in an outside compartment to use to open the cable ties-never had a a problem with that either.

CruzNut November 23rd, 2010 10:30 PM

I highly recommend the TSA locks (I've got 6 of them for use on 2 suitcases). If they open them, they leave a note in your luggage other than that you can't tell that they opened them.

Plus they come in handy if you go in a day early and leave valuables in your hotel room - just put the valuables in one of the compartments and attach the TSA lock.

If you use cable ties and they open them, you have nothing to protect your luggage until you can retie on a cable tie.

Snoozeman November 23rd, 2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruzNut (Post 1330584)

If you use cable ties and they open them, you have nothing to protect your luggage until you can retie on a cable tie.

The TSA replaces the cable ties themselves after inspection.

Skipper's Mom November 24th, 2010 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=CruzNut;1330584]I highly recommend the TSA locks (I've got 6 of them for use on 2 suitcases). If they open them, they leave a note in your luggage other than that you can't tell that they opened them.

Our TSA locks indicate green if unopened and red if opened.

Mike M November 24th, 2010 05:54 PM

I use cable ties and have done so for many years. It secures the zippers and keeps the suitcase from accidentally opening and may let you know if someone has opened them.

Locks on a soft-sided zippered suitcase basically give a false sense of comfort to the owner rather than actual security. Someone can open a locked (TSA or other lock) with a pen, screwdriver or knife as fast as you can unlock the lock. Once they have taken what they want they just run the attached locks and zippers around the case and it looks like it was never opened. I've done it a number of times with my own cases.

Go ahead and use the locks if it makes you feel better but locks keep honest people honest and that's about it. Cable ties do the same thing.

Take care,
Mike

Trip November 24th, 2010 06:20 PM

Sort of along the same vein....:) when we went through Logan Airport on the way for the Epic cruise, they pulled our carry on aside to be searched. What sent them scratching their heads was, the luggage scale inside.

I can imagine what it must have looked like in the xray window! Once they opened it and gave it back to us, the TSA, agent told us, they hardly ever see these go through.:rolleyes:

CruzNut November 24th, 2010 06:40 PM

Times have changed - when I first got the locks, as far as I knew the TSA did not replace cable ties (which I had used) ... also the locks I got did not have the green/red signal.

I had seen the internet video on how someone could open a soft sided bag with a lock on it - didn't do anything about it.

But can't they do the same thing with cable ties?

Lakers Fan November 24th, 2010 10:17 PM

luggage scale

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1330678)
Sort of along the same vein....:) when we went through Logan Airport on the way for the Epic cruise, they pulled our carry on aside to be searched. What sent them scratching their heads was, the luggage scale inside.

I can imagine what it must have looked like in the xray window! Once they opened it and gave it back to us, the TSA, agent told us, they hardly ever see these go through.:rolleyes:

We have a built in luggage scale and we notify the airline as we give it in to be checked

Lakers Fan December 5th, 2010 01:10 PM

Boarding time

[QUOTE=Skipper's Mom;1330630]
Quote:

Originally Posted by CruzNut (Post 1330584)
I highly recommend the TSA locks (I've got 6 of them for use on 2 suitcases). If they open them, they leave a note in your luggage other than that you can't tell that they opened them.

Our TSA locks indicate green if unopened and red if opened.

What time did boarding commence on your first day ?

Skipper's Mom December 5th, 2010 01:58 PM

Henry,

We arrived in FLL at 12:30 pm and they were in the process of boarding. It was a slow process because they had had a Coast Guard inspection that AM and were running behind.

Did you ever get my email?

Lynne

Mike M December 5th, 2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruzNut (Post 1330683)
I had seen the internet video on how someone could open a soft sided bag with a lock on it - didn't do anything about it.

But can't they do the same thing with cable ties?

Yes they can:

The only thing that locks or cable ties do is "Keep honest people honest" and secures the zippers from accidentally coming open. Hard sided luggage is the most secure.

The difference is that cable ties are about 3 cents each. :o

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan December 5th, 2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom (Post 1332506)
Henry,

We arrived in FLL at 12:30 pm and they were in the process of boarding. It was a slow process because they had had a Coast Guard inspection that AM and were running behind.

Did you ever get my email?

Lynne

I received your PM but I could not send you a PM in return because you don't allow them .

We are going to the Mariners lunch which begins at noon ,I was hoping to be able to be on board by 10 .

Lakers Fan December 5th, 2010 06:13 PM

One of my neighbors who was with Homeland Security suggested no locks on the bags but to place locks on the bags while they are in the pre cruise hotel and also when aboard the ship .

Skipper's Mom December 5th, 2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1332590)
I received your PM but I could not send you a PM in return because you don't allow them .

We are going to the Mariners lunch which begins at noon ,I was hoping to be able to be on board by 10 .

We missed the Mariner's Lunch because it is only served from 12-1PM. Those are the hours for all lunches in the MDR.

If you are a repeat passenger, don't miss the brunch. If you do not receive an invitation, check with the front desk to be sure you get an invitation.

This email thing is a bit of a bother. I'll try to figure it out.....

Lakers Fan December 5th, 2010 06:39 PM

HAL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom (Post 1332592)
We missed the Mariner's Lunch because it is only served from 12-1PM. Those are the hours for all lunches in the MDR.

If you are a repeat passenger, don't miss the brunch. If you do not receive an invitation, check with the front desk to be sure you get an invitation.

This email thing is a bit of a bother. I'll try to figure it out.....

We are repeat cruisers as are our friends cruising with us .