Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Default Luggage Locks

We were recommended to use TSA approved Luggage locks .What is the concensus ,to use or not to use ?
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Henry,

Since you will be flying into Fort Lauderdale, the TSA locks are recommended. You may also use electrical, plastic wire tires to secure your luggage. We bought a few of the TSA locks a while back and they work fine. If your bags are opened with the wire ties, you know immediately. The same with the TSA locks.

Have a great trip.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Default Skipper's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom View Post
Henry,

Since you will be flying into Fort Lauderdale, the TSA locks are recommended. You may also use electrical, plastic wire tires to secure your luggage. We bought a few of the TSA locks a while back and they work fine. If your bags are opened with the wire ties, you know immediately. The same with the TSA locks.

Have a great trip.
Since you took the same cruise I will be taking and on the same ship ,I wanted to PM you to get a brief synopsis of your trip ,pros and cons .However ,you do not accept PM's .I would sincerely appreciate if you could send me a PM and let me know about your cruise .

Thanking you in advance ,I am

"Henry43"
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I always use cable ties. Never had a problem, TSA has inspected (opened) them only twice in 3-4 years and they just replace with a new cable tie.

I keep an old BSA knife in an outside compartment to use to open the cable ties-never had a a problem with that either.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
Admiral

I highly recommend the TSA locks (I've got 6 of them for use on 2 suitcases). If they open them, they leave a note in your luggage other than that you can't tell that they opened them.

Plus they come in handy if you go in a day early and leave valuables in your hotel room - just put the valuables in one of the compartments and attach the TSA lock.

If you use cable ties and they open them, you have nothing to protect your luggage until you can retie on a cable tie.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut View Post

If you use cable ties and they open them, you have nothing to protect your luggage until you can retie on a cable tie.
The TSA replaces the cable ties themselves after inspection.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

[QUOTE=CruzNut;1330584]I highly recommend the TSA locks (I've got 6 of them for use on 2 suitcases). If they open them, they leave a note in your luggage other than that you can't tell that they opened them.

Our TSA locks indicate green if unopened and red if opened.
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I use cable ties and have done so for many years. It secures the zippers and keeps the suitcase from accidentally opening and may let you know if someone has opened them.

Locks on a soft-sided zippered suitcase basically give a false sense of comfort to the owner rather than actual security. Someone can open a locked (TSA or other lock) with a pen, screwdriver or knife as fast as you can unlock the lock. Once they have taken what they want they just run the attached locks and zippers around the case and it looks like it was never opened. I've done it a number of times with my own cases.

Go ahead and use the locks if it makes you feel better but locks keep honest people honest and that's about it. Cable ties do the same thing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sort of along the same vein.... when we went through Logan Airport on the way for the Epic cruise, they pulled our carry on aside to be searched. What sent them scratching their heads was, the luggage scale inside.

I can imagine what it must have looked like in the xray window! Once they opened it and gave it back to us, the TSA, agent told us, they hardly ever see these go through.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 24th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Times have changed - when I first got the locks, as far as I knew the TSA did not replace cable ties (which I had used) ... also the locks I got did not have the green/red signal.

I had seen the internet video on how someone could open a soft sided bag with a lock on it - didn't do anything about it.

But can't they do the same thing with cable ties?

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Default luggage scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Sort of along the same vein.... when we went through Logan Airport on the way for the Epic cruise, they pulled our carry on aside to be searched. What sent them scratching their heads was, the luggage scale inside.

I can imagine what it must have looked like in the xray window! Once they opened it and gave it back to us, the TSA, agent told us, they hardly ever see these go through.

We have a built in luggage scale and we notify the airline as we give it in to be checked
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Default Boarding time

[QUOTE=Skipper's Mom;1330630]
Quote:
I highly recommend the TSA locks (I've got 6 of them for use on 2 suitcases). If they open them, they leave a note in your luggage other than that you can't tell that they opened them.

Our TSA locks indicate green if unopened and red if opened.

What time did boarding commence on your first day ?
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Henry,

We arrived in FLL at 12:30 pm and they were in the process of boarding. It was a slow process because they had had a Coast Guard inspection that AM and were running behind.

Did you ever get my email?

Lynne
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
I had seen the internet video on how someone could open a soft sided bag with a lock on it - didn't do anything about it.

But can't they do the same thing with cable ties?
Yes they can:

The only thing that locks or cable ties do is "Keep honest people honest" and secures the zippers from accidentally coming open. Hard sided luggage is the most secure.

The difference is that cable ties are about 3 cents each. :o

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Default E-mail

Quote:
Henry,

We arrived in FLL at 12:30 pm and they were in the process of boarding. It was a slow process because they had had a Coast Guard inspection that AM and were running behind.

Did you ever get my email?

Lynne
I received your PM but I could not send you a PM in return because you don't allow them .

We are going to the Mariners lunch which begins at noon ,I was hoping to be able to be on board by 10 .
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Admiral

One of my neighbors who was with Homeland Security suggested no locks on the bags but to place locks on the bags while they are in the pre cruise hotel and also when aboard the ship .
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I received your PM but I could not send you a PM in return because you don't allow them .

We are going to the Mariners lunch which begins at noon ,I was hoping to be able to be on board by 10 .
We missed the Mariner's Lunch because it is only served from 12-1PM. Those are the hours for all lunches in the MDR.

If you are a repeat passenger, don't miss the brunch. If you do not receive an invitation, check with the front desk to be sure you get an invitation.

This email thing is a bit of a bother. I'll try to figure it out.....
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Default HAL

Quote:
We missed the Mariner's Lunch because it is only served from 12-1PM. Those are the hours for all lunches in the MDR.

If you are a repeat passenger, don't miss the brunch. If you do not receive an invitation, check with the front desk to be sure you get an invitation.

This email thing is a bit of a bother. I'll try to figure it out.....

We are repeat cruisers as are our friends cruising with us .