Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Beginner

Default Do we need passports?

We are going to leave from Galveston and go to Mexico, do we need passports?
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Probably not. Better if you had them. I'd feel better if you said which ship in order to confirm that it is a closed loop cruise.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Beginner

We are going on the carnival ecstasy
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Admiral

If you are running down there and back to Galveston, you'll be on a closed loop, so no you don't have to have passports. However, passports are a good thing to have in case something happens and you miss the ship and have to fly to catch up or back home.
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

No:

Passports are not required for this cruise. An original, government issued, birth certificate and government issued picture ID is the minimum requirement.

Even with that I advise that you get the passport. If you need to fly home for any reason you will need one and with a passport you will be able to cruise or travel anywhere for the next ten years. The passport is a lot less hassle for traveling.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Admiral

totally agree with the others, eventhough you don't need a passport for this cruise, you really should get one for future travel and just in case you need to fly home from this cruise for any reason
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Why would Americans not require a passport to visit a foreign country? Even if the country borders the US?

I know this happens but one of the first things I did as an adult was obtain a passport and have never been without one since. A passport is such a useful document and has enabled myself to obtain free hospital treatment on one rare occasion.
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Admiral

The US now requires that all travel to Mexico and Canada requires a passport.
Even if you cross by car , horse , mule or any other means they require a passport.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer View Post
The US now requires that all travel to Mexico and Canada requires a passport.
Even if you cross by car , horse , mule or any other means they require a passport.
That isn't correct:

Land or sea crossings require a passport. Closed loop, ocean going voyages do not.

DHS: Publication of Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Land and Sea Final Rule, Questions and Answers

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old November 29th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Admiral

I know - none of my business - but why should cruising be exempt? Pardon the awful pun - just plain loopy to me :-)
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
I know - none of my business - but why should cruising be exempt? Pardon the awful pun - just plain loopy to me :-)
Because the cruise and travel industry has a lot of pull in Washington.

Take care,
Mike

Old November 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
To simplify what Mike said....$$$.
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Admiral

The reply confirmed what I suspected - thanks.

USA is very concerned about illegal immigration ? and it has this massive loop-hole? nuts!
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:

USA is very concerned about illegal immigration ? and it has this massive loop-hole? nuts!

It's not as if you have a easy route into the county via a cruise ship. The "closed loop" part makes it more secure than the Rio Grande. The border is already very porous as evidenced by the cartel wars.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would not call this a massive or even small loop-hole for immigration. The same people who get on the ship, at the start of the cruise, are the same people who get off the ship at the end of the cruise. Even if the passengers do not have a passport they have proved U.S. residency and/or citizenship.

Take care,
Mike

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Familiar Face

Do passengers over 16 absolutely have to have a photo id? My DD17 has not gotten her driver's license yet because she's developmentally delayed, and I don't know for sure when we will get it. I have an original birth certificate for all 3 of my kids. Above DD's twin sister has her driver's permit.

New to Cruising- UNTIL...

Allure of the Seas- 2012!

The Crew:

Captain Mama D- 38 (Me)
First Mate- Daughter Shannon- 18
Second Mate- Daughter Jasmine- 18

and The Swab- Little Man Adam- 11
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaCruiserMom View Post
Do passengers over 16 absolutely have to have a photo id? My DD17 has not gotten her driver's license yet because she's developmentally delayed, and I don't know for sure when we will get it. I have an original birth certificate for all 3 of my kids. Above DD's twin sister has her driver's permit.
My daughter used her school photo ID several times before she got her DL. I would ask your TA or someone more official to confirm.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You could also check with your state, I know here in Illinois, you can still get a state picture ID without having a drivers license...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Admiral

OklaCruiserMom, as the others have mentioned, a school picture id or a state picture identifcation plus the birth certificate will be ok for now, but a passport is the wisest choice, as in worse case scenario- if you are cruising or traveling and have to get home for an emergency you will need a passport to get out of a foreign country
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Familiar Face

Question

Hi all. Thanks- hopefully she will get her driver's permit at some point soon anyway, so it's probably not a problem. But as for photo id, I forgot she does have her tribal id- even though it's only a tiny degree, she is a citizen of the Chickasaw nation through her dad's side. Suppose that would work? I'm hoping she'll be able to get her driver's permit at least, but she is learning disabled and may have difficulty with the written test.

Re: traveling with children, help me with this scenario. This is not all true yet (we don't have passports yet) but will be by the time we sail: I'm their custodial parent. I'm traveling with them. All of us have passports. Their last name and mine is NOT the same. Do I still need a letter from their dad for the cruiseline, stating that I have his permission to take them out of the country and on the trip, and specifying exactly which trip on which dates, giving me all authority to permit specific activities, etc? Or since I'm their single custodial parent, do I not need this?

And ALSO, do I need a copy of my divorce from him, a copy of my marriage license for my subsequent marriage, and a copy of that divorce to show the link from their last name to my current last name? I will be able to get my hands on all that if necessary, but it seems like serious overkill!!

Thanks!

The Crew:

Captain Mama D- 38 (Me)

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Admiral

OklaCruiserMom, since you have sole custody of the children i would think that a letter of consent would not be necessary, but i would double check with the cruise line just to be sure. As long as you and the kids have passports that is all the form of id you will need
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Admiral

We took our teen and a friend on a cruise last March. We got the letter from the friend's parents...and no one asked to see it. It turned out to be a total non-issue. Of course, if you miss the ship in a foreign country it might become an issue. Check with the cruiseline to make sure.
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Familiar Face

Thumbs down

Why do passports have to be so stinkin' expensive? It may be peanuts to some, but it's going to cost me over $400 just to get them for all of us. $100 X 3 adults, $85 X 1 child; photos $10-15 X 4; and express mail postage.

Oh well. I know they're good to have, essential in some cases, and so forth. Just wish they were less costly.

The Crew:

Captain Mama D- 38 (Me)

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Admiral

yes the intial cost is expensive but figure it this way, they are good for 10 years, and they are the most accepted form of identification world-wide.
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Familiar Face

Oh, I know. I do plan to get them, I'm just going to be gritting my teeth the entire time, because the odds are so low that any of us are going to be leaving the country anytime soon after the cruise, or maybe never again.

I was also wondering, is there any point or value at all to a passport card? Someone suggested that to me today, but it didn't sound like they were of any real use in place of a passport.

I have a friend who is planning on taking a honeymoon cruise in June and all the TAs she has talked to have insisted that she actually did need a passport, and I told her it's not supposed to be a requirement, just "strongly recommended" but I wondered why the TAs would say they had to have them. I wondered if they were misinformed or just trying to help their client be completely prepared. She already happens to have hers, but her fiance' doesn't.

The Crew:

Captain Mama D- 38 (Me)

Old February 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Admiral

The passport card works if you don't have to fly. The problem with that is that if you miss the ship for some reason you are out of luck. That is one of the major points of getting a passport. If you get stuck in another country after missing the ship, you need a way to either get back to the ship or get home.
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

It just isn't right that we Americans have to spend all this money, and go through all this hassle, just because of a few idiot terrorists or because of illegal aliens.