CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   How many camera 's do you take ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/378396-how-many-camera-s-do-you-take.html)

Lakers Fan November 29th, 2010 04:12 PM

How many camera 's do you take ?

How many camera's do you take on a cruise ?Do you take a digital and a camcorder or just one ?

I'm undecided if we should take 2 digitals ; one and a camcorder or just one camera

Donna November 29th, 2010 06:46 PM

I just take the digital and then one for shore excursions, like a disposable one. There are times that you may not want to take your good camera, beach or near water, just to be safe. I've also been to beaches where there is not a place to secure your valuable stuff, so just a throw away camera for those kind of places.

Kamloops Cruiser November 29th, 2010 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=Henry43;1331303]How many camera's do you take on a cruise ?Do you take a digital and a camcorder or just one ?

I'm undecided if we should take 2 digitals ; one and a ideocamcorder or just one camera [/QUOox TE]
I always take two cameras . One camera is a hi MB camera (appr 10 -15).
The other is combines HD video and still camera with approx 8 MB.
My movie camera is pocket size and records about 4 hrs of HD video on a 8gb SD memory card.:-D

LisaK November 30th, 2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1331325)
I just take the digital and then one for shore excursions, like a disposable one. There are times that you may not want to take your good camera, beach or near water, just to be safe. I've also been to beaches where there is not a place to secure your valuable stuff, so just a throw away camera for those kind of places.

This is exactly what we do also, but the disposable camera for us is an underwater camera to take pictures when we snorkel

Lakers Fan November 30th, 2010 10:08 AM

Great idea Donna .I never thought of that .

HawkeyeFLA November 30th, 2010 11:45 AM

Being as photography is a passion/hobby/freelance of mine, I go a little overboard I suppose. Canon 20D is my primary. Then I have a Canon A720IS for just running around with when I don't want the DSLR. Use it a lot the first day on Imagination, since we boarded before our cabin was ready. It sits in its own pouch on the shoulder strap of my bigger camera/laptop bag. But I also still carry my old Canon 300D (Digital Rebel). Back up in case something happens to the 20D. I find very little interest in shooting video these days ... since its just gonna sit there and and not get watched.

johnthed0g November 30th, 2010 06:07 PM

Crikey...I only take one & we have forgotten that before now! One thing though with digital we are not inundated with photos (hard copy) that we never look at again.

Donna November 30th, 2010 06:56 PM

You are right Lisa,
The disposable one is a water camera. They really take good pictures in and out of the water.

Moiraine December 2nd, 2010 10:34 PM

Well, it depends on who is going. My other half is seriously into photography. I find taking pics a chore myself.

profln71 December 3rd, 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1331303)
How many camera's do you take on a cruise ?Do you take a digital and a camcorder or just one ?

I'm undecided if we should take 2 digitals ; one and a camcorder or just one camera

Hi Henry 43 , It's preferable to take only one like the Canon HF 100 which does both : digital photos ( 8 M.P's ) and digital video ( several settings up to Hi Def ) and all is stored on a memory card . You can also obtain a 3 hr. battery to supplement the 1 hr battery that is included . Don't forget to bring an additional battery charger as well . The results are breathtaking especially with the fabulous natural colors ( if you leave it on factory setting ) . Check out their website ! Lane

Lakers Fan December 3rd, 2010 09:35 PM

Subsequent to starting this thread I received this exact camera as a present

misguidedangel December 19th, 2010 02:14 PM

I take my Canon Vixia HG10 videocamera (40GB hard drive), my Olympus Tough 8000 (12 MP underwater), and my Canon A720IS for general use. I am toying with the idea of buying the Canon SD1400IS after Xmas if the price goes lower. I like some of the interesting features on that camera.

I also have an extra battery for the video camera and bring 8AA lithum batteries for the Canon A720IS just in case.....never know when you'll need batteries....I also bring three additional 4GB professional memory cards for the Canon and one 1GB memory card for the Olympus...once again, never know when you'll need em.....specially if I opt to video on the digital camera vs the videocamera.....

Zack Adams December 20th, 2010 01:54 AM

I always have two with me, except the beach and snorkeling trips where I take along my trusty Canon powershot D10. My primary is my Canon T1i DSLR which is my primary camera.

Having 2 cameras p&s and dslr have been a life saver for me. Took pictures the first 15 minutes of my Seaplane tour in Roatan with my Canon d10 point and shoot as my dslr had fogged up. Had I only had my dslr I would have missed some of the best shots of flight.

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it photographically speaking of course. But then again I love photography :)

Lombard December 20th, 2010 02:31 AM

I took 2 on my recent cruise, 1 x Canon Powershot A2000IS compact and a Canon DSLR.

The DSLR only came out once from my luggage as it is quite bulky even for a DSLR and my compact Canon was quite capable of taking high res photo's and video's as well.

As this camera was also cheaper to replace I found that it is a better option as some how particles of "something" have lodged themselves in the rear screen of the camera and may ultimately cause failure.

Go for a good quality compact digital camera and leave any big camera's at home.
Also take lots of 1 to 2 Gig memory cards if you don't take your laptop with you.

Lakers Fan December 24th, 2010 09:59 PM

We brought 2 digital cameras and took 125 pictures

Lombard December 25th, 2010 12:29 AM

I took circa 1,100 pictures on my trip and 850 of them were cruise related.

Lakers Fan December 25th, 2010 08:48 AM

I took most of my pictures at the Meet and Greet party

Queen of Oakville December 28th, 2010 08:36 PM

I have a Nikon D40 (which I love!). i also take my distance lense and by the time we travel, I should have an extra flash. I also have an Olympus waterproof camera for the beach. On our last trip, I took my mini-dv recorder, but am experimenting with using the Olympus for video.

I'm thinking of getting an iphone in the near future, in which case I might (gasp) - only take the iphone and leave all the other gear at home. I hear from iphone lovers, that is all you need.

Lakers Fan January 2nd, 2011 12:13 PM

I developed my pictures today

Aerogirl January 2nd, 2011 07:38 PM

I only take one, however I think I'll bring my video camera along next time.

Lakers Fan January 2nd, 2011 08:01 PM

I think I will do that as well .I developed my pictures today and not many came out clearly .

Moiraine January 2nd, 2011 09:55 PM

Sorry to hear that Henry. I hope you had a good time.

Lakers Fan January 2nd, 2011 09:59 PM

I had a great time -looking forward to my next land or sea cruise .

Moiraine January 2nd, 2011 10:10 PM

I'm doing a cruise to Alaska in May. I just can't wait.

Lakers Fan January 3rd, 2011 03:16 PM

I loved Alaska ,enjoy your trip .