Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default Can I use a disposable cell phone?

I hope this is the right place to ask.

We will be cruising to New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia and Singapore and I need some information on disposable cellphones. To begin, I have never owned a cellphone (probably the last one on the planet, so I know almost nothing about them.

Can I purchase a disposable cellphone when I get to Auckland that will allow me to make calls while I travel. The calls could be to contact car rental agencies in the various ports, or it could even be to my kids back home if needed.

How do the charges work for these things, and what are the costs of the actual cellphones?

Many thanks for any advice!
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLSmith View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask.

We will be cruising to New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia and Singapore and I need some information on disposable cellphones. To begin, I have never owned a cellphone (probably the last one on the planet, so I know almost nothing about them.

Can I purchase a disposable cellphone when I get to Auckland that will allow me to make calls while I travel. The calls could be to contact car rental agencies in the various ports, or it could even be to my kids back home if needed.

How do the charges work for these things, and what are the costs of the actual cellphones?

Many thanks for any advice!

I just had the same problem recently in the states so I went to target and bought a TracPhone cell phone.

But over here in NZ if you have a phone that takes a "GSM network Sim" card you can buy a prepaid sim card that will do you nicely.
My Iphone 3 uses a sim card and there are 2 company's over here that use them, "Vodafone" and "2 degrees" but Telecom has just recently started using them.
Vodafone is more likely to have a presence in ozzy as well.

Here is a sample..

Mobile Prepaid Cards

PS If you are starting your cruise from Auckland and you need to buy a phone I would suggest you go to a Vodafone shop and discuss your needs with them.
Use this link to find a shop just type in auckland.

Store locator. Find a Vodafone store near you - Vodafone NZ

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!

Last edited by Lombard; January 5th, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Familiar Face

Liam:

Many thanks!

After reading your post I talked to a friend who is going to loan me an older Blackberry. So I assume that I can just buy one of the voice SIM cards once I get to Auckland and I'm all set.

Do you know if the same card will function in Australia, Indonesia and Singapore, or do I need cards for those countries too?

Thanks,

Kenneth
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLSmith View Post
Liam:

Many thanks!

After reading your post I talked to a friend who is going to loan me an older Blackberry. So I assume that I can just buy one of the voice SIM cards once I get to Auckland and I'm all set.

Do you know if the same card will function in Australia, Indonesia and Singapore, or do I need cards for those countries too?

Thanks,

Kenneth
You could probably use the NZ one in Ozzy but then you would have additional charges ie international roaming. Not sure about the rest the countries but the vodafone people should be able to find out.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!