CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Tipping on Carnival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/379587-tipping-carnival.html)

showcat January 17th, 2011 11:18 AM

Tipping on Carnival

How much is the suggested per day tip these days?
Who is included?
Can I have the pre paid tips removed on the ship and hand out envelopes instead? Or if I paid for my cruise are they already added?
How much do you usually tip the Maitre D and head waiter, and cabin steward (looking for a price range)?

johnthed0g January 17th, 2011 11:24 AM

I like tips that are applied to the account, everyone gets their share & I don't have to go through the ritual of handing out envelopes, I find this embarrassing & patronising. Don't see the point of pre-paying anything unless I get a discount!

Haoie January 20th, 2011 03:58 PM

It's $10 per person a day, automatically added to the onboard account.

Trip January 20th, 2011 04:29 PM

I believe it has been adjusted to $12.00 pp per day now...? I don't tip the Miatre'd unless he/she has done something specifically for us...Honestly, the prepaid tips arr great...you cann add more,or deduct depending on how you feel your service was...I usually add, have deducted twice in my cruise history, almost hitting 25 cruises.

johnthed0g January 20th, 2011 04:47 PM

On our recent P&O UK cruise we paid over the recommended amount, leaving the cabin stewards' envelope on the bed & discretely handing the dining team theirs, apart from a mild acknowledgement from the waiters nobody seemed the least bit grateful, not that I want them to be but...

Trip January 20th, 2011 04:51 PM

I think that is part of their training....not to be overly demonstrative with their thank you. But know this, they are very thankful, and, appreciate you realizing by your tip, you noticed their good service.

Snoozeman January 20th, 2011 06:04 PM

The prepaid can not be adjusted. The automatic can be adjusted.

Just do the suggested automatic and all will be fine. (i.e. split accordingly)

You can leave more in addition to the automatic if you wish.

It's still $10 for now.

Trip January 20th, 2011 06:14 PM

I adjusted my prepaid tips on Carnival...things must have changed, this was several years back though...

Snoozeman January 20th, 2011 07:43 PM

Not anymore.
If they are paid before sailing they would have to adjusted out of Miami.
It's out of the ships hands at that point. Probably an accounting change.

Ron January 21st, 2011 12:12 AM

Seems that there may be some misunderstanding of pre-paid and automatically added on your account.
It's as Snooze said--if you pre-pay, it's paid along with your cruise fare and has to be handled out of the H.O. in Miami. If you try to add / deduct after you have pre-paid,- it creates a big problem. Just do the automatic tipping--they will add it to your on-board account. Then if you wish to adjust it, either up or down, go to the Pursers desk, get a form , complete same and return it to the Pursers desk..

ED Note: I restored your post Ron as you mention the forms. I was going to mention them, then changed my mind. Your correct. I do agree with CCL about have to write a reason for your changes.

Trip January 21st, 2011 09:10 AM

Auto tipping had to be the way it was done on the cruise I mentioned then.

Ron January 22nd, 2011 05:11 PM

Snooze, at first I couldn't figure out what you were talking about when you said you had restored my post---took me a few minutes to understand.

To clarify, this section is for staff to answer questions and I had added my post without noticing it said " ask cruisemates staff " ---as I'm not staff, I deleted my own post--Snooze restored it.
Mystery solved ! :)

Larkenvar September 10th, 2013 04:12 PM

Was $11/day on my recent Carnival. Not enough in my opinion and handed cash to persons of interest. The 15% drink gratuity gets split by dozens of people not just the person serving you so that is kind of a waste of time and not called for.