Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Default streets of miami

Are the streets of Miami as dangerous as people say? I may be driving to the port in May, but by myself. I fear I'll miss a turn to the port and wind who knows where.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Any area can be dangerous, we have gotten lost there early on in our cruise history,and the language barrier can be tough, in some areas if you need directions as we did once. Use a GPS system to get you where you want to be.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Admiral

definitely use a GPS and keep a real good eye on the signs on I95 to get to the port. There are definitely areas of Miami you don't want to have to get out of your car. Also it seems that many of the locals don't care anything about speed limits and stop signs.

If you can print up directions aslo and make sure to print the area road map. You can read these over enough before you go that you should not have any trouble. The port is not real close to any of the areas that can be bad for people not from the area. And if possible try to get to the port early, I know you won't be able to board but the earlier the less traffic you will have to deal with.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Admiral

I can't remember if it is Everglades or POM, but for one of them, you have to drive through a really tough neighbourhood - or maybe that is the scenic tour that the bus drivers like to take you on! I remember that was the first time I'd ever seen bars on windows. Certainly the roughest neighbourhood I've ever been through.

If you are unsure .... why not park your car somewhere safe, and take a cab? Many of the hotels offer free parking and shuttles to the port. If you are going to have to pay for parking anyway, why not put that money into a hotel stay, and let someone else shuttle you to the port?

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

There is an area by the port,and Bayside, where there is a mission, which is sort of dicey. I used to see it on Miami Vice years ago,and found
ourselves in the area, not sure if one can avoid it.. On my bus ride back to Miami Airport, from the Eclipse, we rode by again...not sure much has changed.....

Most hotels in Miami don't offer shuttles or cruise/parking..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator