Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Question When to buy?

I spoke with my TA about buying cruise insurance and she told me to get it when I make my final payment. Is this the standard practice? She also made it seem like all three of us needed to buy it. I think only two of want it so Iím a little confused. If you buy insurance when did you buy your?

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I agree with her about the timing. Final pmt time is best-IMHO. Up to that point you can get a full refund anyway.

I see your point about the need for the 3rd person. You may be better off just increasing the coverage amount a little on the two of you.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just curiouis as to why the 3rd person does not feel the need for it.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Don't know about "over there" but over here we all get insurance, most I suggest have an annual policy for the family. I would say it's not just cancellation cover you need it's in case of illness or accident costs.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You do have to be careful... depending on the policy, some need to be purchased within 14 days of booking to cover pre-existing conditions.

I'd also make sure all 3 are insured. What if the one with no insurance got ill or had an accident and needed a medical evacution from the ship?

For the peace of mind travel insurance just isn't expensive enough to warrant not buying it.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I don't know her circumstance, but say you have 2 adults at full fare and a child booked at 3rd person fare for much less. The cost ratio on that 3rd booking may not justify the full premium vs. return of cost. Especially if it were a sale fare of $199 or so. Insurance is all a gamble anyway IMHO.

As John says, people are much better off with an annual travel medical policy. Then just add trip as needed. (john over her that has to be a supplement so not as many have it)

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Our travel insurance covers most things (allegedly) accident, illness, death, repatriation of the body, hospital, medivac, public liability, medical up to about £5 million (in case we should split a nail in the States!) loss of passport, loss of cash(limited) valuables, most sports & activities, loss of luggage, delayed/missed departure.......not apparently getting the friggin' flu in the Caribbean though! Our Insurance is actually a "benefit" of having a certain type of bank account, but "over here" it is not terrifically expensive. People should shop around though, the cruise line or TA being the most expensive usually.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
She thinks because she lives in FL she will make the ship as for us were coming from chicago. I did tell her it's much more then that and explained what it covers in case of... She did say "I'll get back to you on it" so i'm think she might do it as well. It came out to $42.00 pp.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Telll her..just think of the peace of mind she will have for $42.00..The cost of about 4 cocktails..
It could possibly be even less, because she is not factoring in any air...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The cost of the trip is NOTHING compared to the cost of what an accident or major illness, outside of the U.S., can cost you.

You've already paid for the trip and the worst thing that happens if you don't make the ship is that you lost the money and didn't get to take the cruise. This isn't going to really hurt you financially. The money has been spent.

If you become severely injured or ill on the cruise you could face total expenses over $100,000. Hospital, doctors, tests, medical evacuation from the ship and medical evacuation to a U.S. facility. For most people this will DEFINITELY hurt the retirement fund.

I love to gamble but this isn't a risk I'm willing to take.

Get the insurance.

Also: Insurance should be purchased at time of booking to cover pre-existing conditions unless the policy the TA is selling allows you to purchase at final payment and IT DOES COVER pre-existing conditions.

Take

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh, for sure have her get it, well worth the cost. As Kuki mentioned, the cost of having to be air lifted to the nearest hospital can cost in the thousands. Just because she doesn't have to fly, that is a small part of having travel insurance....Lets hope you can convince her to purchase it..

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Admiral

The KEY thing to understand when you DON'T purchase insurance is that you are SELF INSURING!

That means you are accepting the reponsibility and financial burden should an insurable event occur. And no cruise line is going to accept that responsibility for you!... even though people who get into that situation expect them to.

If you make the choice to SELF INSURE that's fine, if you can accept the consequence of the decision. You could cruise 50 or 100 times and never have to use the insurance. That's what you hope for.

But, what happens that ONE time things do go horribly wrong?
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Admiral

For not much more than what many pay for a cruise policy you can purchase an annual medical travel policy. It will cover cruises and all travel for that matter. Good deal really. In fact I need to check and make sure mine is still in effect. If I remember the premium is only about $100 for 12 months of coverage.

Future Cruises:
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Admiral

In Canada, up until a certain age (think it's 60), you can buy an annual policy. After that you have to specify # of days, but it can be as much as 180 days out of country insurance.

I wasn't aware that annual policies were available in the US. If they are and cover cruise ship travel, and medi-vac, that would certainly be a good way to go.
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I wasn't aware that annual policies were available in the US. If they are and cover cruise ship travel, and medi-vac, that would certainly be a good way to go.
Just looking at a basic Annual Multi-trip that covers emergency medical to $10,000 and evac up to $35,000. It's only around $65.00 for a 60 year old. The age limit is 81-must be US citizen.

Your right--I don't know why more people don't do this.

I am out of force so on Monday I need to make some phone calls. I have trips at the end of the month and DW left for Florida today.

Future Cruises:

Last edited by Snoozeman; February 5th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Admiral

That sounds not bad, but I'd be concerned about the limits. $10,000 for medical would likely cover ship's infirmary, but any kind of prolonged hospital stay, with any procedures, and it could disappear quickly.